Do you guys drain hyrdo fluid from splitters and replace with ATF in dead of winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
So many people say this. I HAVE read it in the manual, but whats the real-life-deal with replacing hydro-fluid with ATF in freezing temps? Who does it,and who doesnt? Any probs?

If you're going to go to the trouble of draining and refilling you may as well use low temp hydraulic fluid. The reason for the ATF is it's probably less viscous in cooler temps but will still be thicker than low temp fluid.

Is low temp a special order thing or can you get it at NAPA?

Im curious. I know that I like to do most splitting in the fall and winter, and I assume most others do too. I think the vast majority of us Hearthers have a hydraulic splitter. Have you guys ever had a problem with the splitter bogging down b/c hydro oil is thick and cold? Wouldnt letting it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes thin it back out again?

Honestly, IDK the real pro's and con's but I didnt do it last winter. Used the splitter a # times w/o an issue in temps below freezing

Once we are down in the single digits to teens, I can't even start the splitter and warm it up as the pump is direct drive. My splitter stays outside though, probably isn't as much of an issue if it is in a non-frozen garage. Splitting on a sunny winter day is my favorite time to split.

I dont...

Is there any drawback to using ATF year-round? When I bought my Lickity Splitter from it's previous owner he told me to only use ATF-its what he had been using for years.

Just looked at the Huskee manual, which echos the below freezing go with ATF but does not offer a reason for it. My guess is that the ATF flows better, perhaps mitigating potential pump problems. Because the splitter came (mostly) prefilled with from TSC with hydraulic fluid I didn't feel compelled to drain the whole thing and replace with ATF - first time I change the fluid I will do just that. I don't split unless it is at least a few ticks above 32 deg F.

While I've done some splitting during the cold of winter, I still much prefer to just bypass that job until Spring. Once it starts thawing and the woods gets a tad muddy I find it enjoyable to get out there to split what I've cut during the winter months. Therefore, I do not worry about that stiff fluid. And when the temperature gets really low, I too can not start the engine because the oil is so thick. So I'll just leave the splitter in the barn until Spring.

SolarAndWood said:
Is low temp a special order thing or can you get it at NAPA?

Shouldn't be special order, Napa, Tractor Supply or any equipment or snow plow shop should have it. FWIW you should be able to run the low temp fluid all year round.

All Ive every used is ATF, after 8 cord.. no problems at all.

All Ive ever used is ATF, after 8 cords.. no problems at all.

I switched to ATF fluid about a year ago. I do the majority of my splitting in the cold weather. I just don't think firewood and warm weather go together. For a couple years I would connect a tank heater to the hydro tank for a few hours to warm the fluid.

Last year I did some major renovations on my splitter. I replaced the 11 gpm pump with a 13.6 gpm and installed a Prince valve. So I figured it was a good time to switch to ATF fluid. It is definitely thinner fluid. My manual says ATF or hydro oil. I don't think I will be switching back as I see no reason, plus I like the pretty red color ;)

I'm no mechanic and have probably as much background in engines as the average person here, but I think the recommendation for ATF over hydro in cold weather has to do with pump and valve seal longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.