1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do you hate your Ash Pan + Poll

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 31, 2012.

?

How about that ash pan? Do you...

1. Love it, use it all the time

60.7%
  2. Like it and use it occasionally

1.6%
  3. Don't use it although the stove has one

18.0%
  4. Tried it and don't like it

14.8%
  5. Use it for a bun warmer

4.9%
  1. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Don't hate mine actually love it once a month I empty it works great ,nothing but baby powder ash consistency to empty with the King.
    raybonz likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I keep a 30 gal galvanized garbage can outside, and use an old galvanized ash bucket that was my great grandmother's to get the ashes from the stove to the out of doors.

I'm fairly certain this is the same one.

[​IMG]

That snout sticks into the stove nicely.

pen
    Todd 2 and raybonz like this.
  3. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    That's what I use. I usually hook the snout under the stove's ash lip to sweep off any ash that may have accumulated there. Usually that ash can will hold two cleanings from all three stoves before I need to dump it outside and hose down the ash pile.
    Todd 2 likes this.
  4. mikesin

mikesin New Member

Loc:
    Pa
    I absolutely love the design of my PE ash pan. It works really well. Dump the ashes from the stove to the pan through the "trap door". Wait a few days if you wish before removing the pan and dumping the ashes.
    PA Fire Bug likes this.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    That's a coal hod. They were used back in the day to bring a small load of coal from the coal bin to the stove/fireplace (and for any number of other carrying functions). I use one for kindling near my shop stove. Rick
    pen likes this.
  6. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Rick, I use my coal hod for the same thing. Have an ash bucket with a lid for ashes.

Let's face it. Emptying the ashes comes in all different forms depending on the stove, and what you put the ashes in. and your technique, and etc., etc........ It just isn't one of my favorite parts of wood burning and I usually wait until the fire box doesn't have room for wood before I get rid of them.::-)
    raybonz likes this.
  7. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Ditto, Chief Steve.
  8. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio Atwood Lake
    So thats what it called, that I use. Works great because you can slide the shovel out from under the ashes you put in and not dump them in it out of your shovel, works great, very few ash fly'rs if you do it slow.
  9. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    That's funny. I use the same thing. Mine doesn't seem that old, but I did inherit it. Who knew? Well, Rick did I guess. It really does work great for shoveling ashes. I have a piece of sheet metal that I set on top of the "hod" on the dirt outside for a couple days before dumping.

I don't have an ash pan on purpose. No offense to anyone, but personally I don't see the need. It takes me maybe 72 seconds to shovel ashes.
    Todd 2 likes this.
  10. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Coal hods go quite a ways back...but they're still made new today. You can buy a brand new one dang near anywhere. Amazon, hardware store, all the online stove/hearth sites, wherever. Google "coal hod", you'll see what I'm talking about. The galvanized one I've got is not more than maybe 10 years old. Rick
  11. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    I wasn't doubting you at all. I just thought it was funny all the folks that use them and didn't know what they were. I always just thought it was an ash bucket. I would give my personal recommendation for using this contraption as an ash bucket. It works great. A lid would be nice though.
  12. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Yeah, Waulie...Not a direct response to anything you posted...simply tossing out a little more background info as there seemed to be just a bit of interest. Rick
    Todd 2 likes this.
  13. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio Atwood Lake
    The cat even likes the Coal Hod, every time I take it out hot an set it on the concrete slab, he'll curl up beside it as long as theres no snow.
  14. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I use two stainless steel compost buckets from Lee Valley. They have handles that swing down and nice fitting tops. Two buckets easily hold a weeks ashes.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I saw a bucket very similar to that at TSC and am thinking about getting it mine is round with a crappy shovel.

Pete
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yup, I used a coal hod for ash cleanout way back when I had a wood cook stove. Fortunately the T6 has a nice deep ash bed so I can usually go 2-3 weeks between ash dumpings. By then it's about 50% fused silica.
  17. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I wondered about this, but I never asked. I get this a lot with the Defiant and Encore since clean-outs happen only every 2-4 weeks. Never had it with any other stove. It was a mild concern as I wondered if it had to do with my fuel quality.
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Silica is in most wood. I burn a lot of fir, some with the bark attached. My understanding is the bark has the highest concentrations of silicas. If I switch to pure madrona burning for weeks (quite a luxury out here) then the silica clinker quantity goes down a lot.
  19. SmokeyCity

SmokeyCity Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Pa
    I think I may have accidentally clicked "unliked" when I meant to hit reply.
    If an "unlike" shows up in some interface or on some social media page - my apologies - its an accident and I don-t know how to un - unlike a post

Anyway - about that rake - is it a homemeade or a product you bought. I need one for my 30 ?

20. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    It's an old poker I found, that had the the poker part broken. I unscrewed it from the end of the rod, took a piece of 1/4 in plate that I had around and drilled a hole in the top of it, inserted the poker handle, and put a nut on the end.

pen
  21. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hehheh . . . that's pretty much how I pictured it. :)
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I used to use the shop vac with a dry wall filter on occasion to clean up around the hearth . . . but typically this was only after I was done burning for the year . . . otherwise I would use a brush and dust pan. Then I won an ash vac . . . and that gets used to clean up around the hearth now . . . a lot safer than the ordinary ol' shop vac. I never vacuum out the inside of the woodstove though . . . just the hearth.
    bag of hammers likes this.
  23. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    SmokeyCity - Woodstock sells a nice, functional rake at a reasonable preice.
  24. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    My ash pan was a pain when I first used the stove as ash often flew everywhere when I took it outside.

I made a top out of the side of a cardboard cereal packet and the problem was solved.

One day I'm planning on a mark2 top made out of something that's not combustible, just in case......;)
  25. teutonicking

teutonicking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Not sure why anyone would be surprised that someone would want an ash pan. I have a Progress Hybrid with and ash pan and I like it. I rake the ash over the grate once a day, and empty the large ash pan about once every 4-5 days. It seems to make life easier to me. But I can understand why someone who had a stove with a very small ash pan would find that it might not be worthwhile.