Do you hate your Ash Pan + Poll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How about that ash pan? Do you...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that pic truly blinding. Now I gotta have my eyes drycleaned. :mad:
I have to Ask but what is the orange hose being pulled out of..I've never had an ash pan and never used a grate. I find it easier to just rake the hot coals over to the side and shovel out the ash into my metal can. I prefer running 24/7..That picture is disturbing.. but i can't look away.

I've now swapped out the ash pan on my PH twice. Very nice I have to say. Morning time, few coals left in the stove so I just moved them forward (same as I would for any other morning startup), then I opened ash drawer, slid the lid on the pan (while in the drawer), pulled out the pan with lid on it and set it to the side, slid the empty pan in and closed the door. Probably had the ash door open for less than a minute. Then went on with building the fire up - the coals got a burst of bottom air during the swapout and were fully red and ready to go (bonus) so if anything it saved even more time.

Whenever convenient I can take the full pan outside (down stairs and outside) to dump into my outdoor cooling bucket (can with tight lid) where it will sit for a few weeks before final disposal.

No matter how I look at it - this was faster than using a shovel, zero dust and I don't even have to be awake to avoid the dust (i.e. shoveling I have to at least pay some attention to sliding the ashes into the can etc), and did I mention how quick the operation was?

I think I can get used to this!

I've now swapped out the ash pan on my PH twice. Very nice I have to say. Morning time, few coals left in the stove so I just moved them forward (same as I would for any other morning startup), then I opened ash drawer, slid the lid on the pan (while in the drawer), pulled out the pan with lid on it and set it to the side, slid the empty pan in and closed the door. Probably had the ash door open for less than a minute. Then went on with building the fire up - the coals got a burst of bottom air during the swapout and were fully red and ready to go (bonus) so if anything it saved even more time.

Whenever convenient I can take the full pan outside (down stairs and outside) to dump into my outdoor cooling bucket (can with tight lid) where it will sit for a few weeks before final disposal.

No matter how I look at it - this was faster than using a shovel, zero dust and I don't even have to be awake to avoid the dust (i.e. shoveling I have to at least pay some attention to sliding the ashes into the can etc), and did I mention how quick the operation was?

I think I can get used to this!
We've only had to clean the stove out once now, but my better half shoveled it into a plastic bucket and put in the garage while I was gone. I think we'll start using the stove's pan now;lol . It's a lot larger and more useable than many of them anyway.

We've only had to clean the stove out once now, but my better half shoveled it into a plastic bucket and put in the garage while I was gone. I think we'll start using the stove's pan now;lol . It's a lot larger and more useable than many of them anyway.

Arghhh . . . every year I hear of at least one fire in the area that was started in a similar fashion -- cardboard box, plastic bucket, etc. and placed in the garage, wooden deck, porch, etc.

I liked the ash pan on mh old Intrepid II better, fast to use but was hot if the stove was on. My Sirocco's pan is large, just more work to fill it using the plug hole. Still I prefer this to shoveling.

kind of along this same thread - I picked up a brand new metal can with tight fitting lid last week (sits on a 2x2 concrete pad out by the driveway). I took a shovel full of ashes from the hot stove out on Saturday for a small reload. Brought the ash out in the metal bucket and put in the big can, lid tight. Just for fun, early Sunday, as I took the pup out for a walk, I reached down and felt the bottom of the can along the side - kinda warm in one spot. Tilted it up on the block, and the underneath (one small spot towards that warm side) seemed to be just about hot enough to fry an egg. Almost a day later. No matter how many times I see this, it still amazes me how that much heat can hide in a bit of ashes for so long.

I can't vote because I always use the ash pan on my VC, and never with my Alderlea. The Winterwarm system is fantastic. A couple of scrapes back and forth with the shovel and most of the ash drops through the grate leaving the coals behind. Swing out the pan and (gently) dump it into the ash pale on the hearth. Done!

The PE is another story. I tried to use the ash pan a few times when I first got it last year. Inevitably, a chunk of coal would get lodged in the small drop hole and prevent the trap door from closing. Ok, now try and dislodge the piece of coal and in the process dislodge the adjacent half piece of firebrick, the cavity then promptly filling with the ash I was trying to clean out in the first place ... aargh! Now I just scrape the coals to one side, shovel out some ash, then scrape them to the other side and repeat. Takes longer, but much less frustrating. My PE brethren here don't seem to have an issue, so I'm pretty sure I must be a moron.

I love my Alderlea .. everything except the ash cleaning system. Oh, and the ash lip too. When the door is open ( the only way to get at the drop hole ) the door arm interferes with being able to easily sweep the right side of the lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.