Do you have any Pellet myths to share?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
Sitting here stuffed on Turkey and watching Myth-busters on discovery. Got me thinking about pellet myths. Maybe we could list some and see if we can solve them. Heck maybe if we get them interested they could help us solve them.

Maybe this can help others digest there holiday meal. Please post your pellet myths?

******Caution*******
This thread may have the potential of starting the dreaded flaming war. Proceed with care!

I'll suggest a couple:

#1 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: " Since this is a high tech stove with all electronic controls, is there any reason for me to think I'll have any problems with this stove?"

Dealer: " No, I guarantee that you will NEVER have any problems....buy this stove from me NOW!"

#2 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: I've heard that these stoves require cleaning to keep them running well....is that true?"

Dealer: " No, all you have to do is an occasional vacuuming of the firebox & firepot and clean the glass....that's it!!"

You can heat your whole house putting this stove in your basement

Shorty said:
I don't know any myths that have not been demythed yet.

Just the other day I saw a post that someone believes the softwoods burn faster than hardwoods. Sounds like a myth to me?

imacman said:
I'll suggest a couple:

#1 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: " Since this is a high tech stove with all electronic controls, is there any reason for me to think I'll have any problems with this stove?"

Dealer: " No, I guarantee that you will NEVER have any problems....buy this stove from me NOW!"

#2 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: I've heard that these stoves require cleaning to keep them running well....is that true?"

Dealer: " No, all you have to do is an occasional vacuuming of the firebox & firepot and clean the glass....that's it!!"

I think we could say BUSTED on these. No? imacman sounds like he has issue's with a stove dealer maybe??? hehe

hossthehermit said:
MWP should be labeled "DIRT IN A BAG"

Hoss, I say busted! But shall we poll the members? :)

BXpellet said:

BX, I have to say this is confirmed. I am living proof you can heat the whole house with a stove from the basement. Took a beast but I can do it, And rather easy now! There are a few other members that do the no-no too!

How can imacman have issues with his stove dealer... be bought his stove at Goodwill!!!!

j-takeman said:
Shorty said:

Just the other day I saw a post that someone believes the softwoods burn faster than hardwoods. Sounds like a myth to me?

I thought that was Busted? As long as you turn feed rate down it burns the same amount of time.

Shorty said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:

I thought that was Busted? As long as you turn feed rate down it burns the same amount of time.

That might confirm the myth? I think its busted by other factors. Pellet size and Density.

My testing of Country Pine(softwood) and SIH(hardwood) similar size and density had darn near the same burn length. See chart

Shorty said:
Vermont Wood Pellets are better softwood pellet than Okies. Interested in this one yet.
I've never burnt any Okies (no local carries them as far as I know) but I'm having good luck with the Vermont Wood Pellets.

Tom

Shorty said:
Vermont Wood Pellets are better softwood pellet than Okies. Interested in this one yet.

:) Well, I have to admit I am. Trying to stay neutral! I think they will both have there pro's and con's. :zip:

j-takeman said:
Shorty said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:

That might confirm the myth? I think its busted by other factors. Pellet size and Density.

My testing of Country Pine(softwood) and SIH(hardwood) similar size and density had darn near the same burn length. See chart

There is a reason for that, your stove feeds by volume. So if the different pellets are all the same in terms of size let alone anything else they will cause your stoves timer to record the same burn times.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:

There is a reason for that, your stove feeds by volume. So if the different pellets are all the same in terms of size let alone anything else they will cause your stoves timer to record the same burn times.

How do we know for sure the stove feeds by volume?

j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:

Depends upon what production process created the batch, the first 3 tons I burned were horrid, the second 3 tons was a bit better than premium. I skipped the 3rd major production change, decided I had fought that battle enough. Now the current stuff appears from what I've heard and seen is pretty danged good so I decided to add some to my stash. They will be delivered on December 2 , five tons worth.

j-takeman said:
BXpellet said:

BX, I have to say this is confirmed. I am living proof you can heat the whole house with a stove from the basement. Took a beast but I can do it, And rather easy now! There are a few other members that do the no-no too!

This would depend upon which stove and whose house you were talking about.

imacman said:
I'll suggest a couple:

This very well could have have been the dealer that sold a HARMAN stove to "Elise in Oregon"!!! :bug:

Myths.....hmmm.....

1. All Pellet stoves are super-efficient .... and one likely as efficient as the next, after all they burn the pellets - where else can the heat go?
2. Pellet stoves don't use any noticeable amount of electricity.
3. A Pellet stove is made to last pretty much forever (like many steel wood stoves)
4. A ton of pellets is worth a cord of wood (this one has turned out to be true or even better in some cases, but in other cases it is off by 1/2, so it is a myth to say it).

Now, we have some special myths which we have spouted right here - maybe they were invented by fellow pellet pigs......

1. The prices of pellets will always be lower off season
2. You really can tell how good a pellet is by the temperature of the air that comes out of your stove!
3. If your pellet stove breaks or does not work correctly, you will be visited 24/7/365 by a representative of the company who will promptly fix it to your satisfaction.
4. These things are magic. After all, heat comes out of them,

I'm sure there are many others......

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty" date="1290733314 said:

Put 100,000 .25 inch glass balls into the hooper and run the auger motor until it is primed and they start dropping into a cup, stop the auger feed, then run the auger for a minute.

Repeat the experiment with 100,000 .25 inch lead balls.

Count the contents of the two cups.

Repeat the above experiment a few times, discuss the results.

This is an exercise you can do for yourself.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Shorty said:
j-takeman" date="1290745146 said:
Shorty" date="1290733314 said:

Put 100,000 .25 inch glass balls into the hooper and run the auger motor until it is primed and they start dropping into a cup, stop the auger feed, then run the auger for a minute.

Repeat the experiment with 100,000 .25 inch lead balls.

Count the contents of the two cups.

Repeat the above experiment a few times, discuss the results.

This is an exercise you can do for yourself.

Interesting. But lead in my hopper? :)

Webmaster said:
Myths.....hmmm.....

Now, we have some special myths which we have spouted right here - maybe they were invented by fellow pellet pigs......

2. You really can tell how good a pellet is by the temperature of the air that comes out of your stove!

I'm sure there are many others......

web, Really? Checking the temps is a myth? I've been doing it(plus checking a few others things as well) trying to get max heat with a good clean burn. Added length of burn to see how long they last this season.

What are you trying to say that all wood pellets are really the same? Now thats a MYTH!

PFI -The Pellet Fuels Institute is a non-profit association that serves the pellet industry......Think again!

this one might set a few off their seat. Myth, the need for OAK is only an opinion.

j-takeman said:
web, Really? Checking the temps is a myth? I've been doing it(plus checking a few others things as well) trying to get max heat with a good clean burn. Added length of burn to see how long they last this season.

What are you trying to say that all wood pellets are really the same? Now thats a MYTH!

Correct.
Really
and, yes, all pellets are not the same.

any other questions?

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:

Depends upon what production process created the batch, the first 3 tons I burned were horrid, the second 3 tons was a bit better than premium. I skipped the 3rd major production change, decided I had fought that battle enough. Now the current stuff appears from what I've heard and seen is pretty danged good so I decided to add some to my stash. They will be delivered on December 2 , five tons worth.

j-takeman said:
BXpellet said:

This would depend upon which stove and whose house you were talking about.

This is correct, I have my stove on the first floor, pretty open floor plan, the second floor far bedroom is cooler then any other room in the house, does the stove make a deference, Is my Con Ed bill lower I would say yes, but I still have to use it to get heat to that far bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.