1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Do you have any Pellet myths to share?????

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jtakeman, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Sitting here stuffed on Turkey and watching Myth-busters on discovery. Got me thinking about pellet myths. Maybe we could list some and see if we can solve them. Heck maybe if we get them interested they could help us solve them.

Maybe this can help others digest there holiday meal. Please post your pellet myths?

******Caution*******
    This thread may have the potential of starting the dreaded flaming war. Proceed with care!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tnt8281

tnt8281 Member

Loc:
    Delton, MI
    I don't know any myths that have not been demythed yet.
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

I'll suggest a couple:

#1 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: " Since this is a high tech stove with all electronic controls, is there any reason for me to think I'll have any problems with this stove?"

Dealer: " No, I guarantee that you will NEVER have any problems....buy this stove from me NOW!"

#2 .....potential Pellet Stove customer talking to Pellet Stove dealer in stove shop:

Customer: I've heard that these stoves require cleaning to keep them running well....is that true?"

Dealer: " No, all you have to do is an occasional vacuuming of the firebox & firepot and clean the glass....that's it!!"
  4. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    MWP should be labeled "DIRT IN A BAG"
  5. Bxpellet

Bxpellet Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bronx, NY
    You can heat your whole house putting this stove in your basement
  6. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Just the other day I saw a post that someone believes the softwoods burn faster than hardwoods. Sounds like a myth to me?

I think we could say BUSTED on these. No? imacman sounds like he has issue's with a stove dealer maybe??? hehe

Hoss, I say busted! But shall we poll the members? :)

BX, I have to say this is confirmed. I am living proof you can heat the whole house with a stove from the basement. Took a beast but I can do it, And rather easy now! There are a few other members that do the no-no too!
  7. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    How can imacman have issues with his stove dealer... be bought his stove at Goodwill!!!!
  8. tnt8281

tnt8281 Member

Loc:
    Delton, MI
    I thought that was Busted? As long as you turn feed rate down it burns the same amount of time.
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Now THAT'S a myth! :lol:
  10. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    That might confirm the myth? I think its busted by other factors. Pellet size and Density.

My testing of Country Pine(softwood) and SIH(hardwood) similar size and density had darn near the same burn length. See chart
  11. tnt8281

tnt8281 Member

Loc:
    Delton, MI
    Vermont Wood Pellets are better softwood pellet than Okies. Interested in this one yet.
  12. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    I've never burnt any Okies (no local carries them as far as I know) but I'm having good luck with the Vermont Wood Pellets.

Tom
  13. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    :) Well, I have to admit I am. Trying to stay neutral! I think they will both have there pro's and con's. :zip:
  14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    There is a reason for that, your stove feeds by volume. So if the different pellets are all the same in terms of size let alone anything else they will cause your stoves timer to record the same burn times.
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    How do we know for sure the stove feeds by volume?
  16. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME

Depends upon what production process created the batch, the first 3 tons I burned were horrid, the second 3 tons was a bit better than premium. I skipped the 3rd major production change, decided I had fought that battle enough. Now the current stuff appears from what I've heard and seen is pretty danged good so I decided to add some to my stash. They will be delivered on December 2 , five tons worth.

This would depend upon which stove and whose house you were talking about.
  17. Cozy Old Coot

Cozy Old Coot Member

Loc:
    Maryland's Eastern Shore
    This very well could have have been the dealer that sold a HARMAN stove to "Elise in Oregon"!!! :bug:
  18. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Myths.....hmmm.....

1. All Pellet stoves are super-efficient .... and one likely as efficient as the next, after all they burn the pellets - where else can the heat go?
    2. Pellet stoves don't use any noticeable amount of electricity.
    3. A Pellet stove is made to last pretty much forever (like many steel wood stoves)
    4. A ton of pellets is worth a cord of wood (this one has turned out to be true or even better in some cases, but in other cases it is off by 1/2, so it is a myth to say it).

Now, we have some special myths which we have spouted right here - maybe they were invented by fellow pellet pigs......

1. The prices of pellets will always be lower off season
    2. You really can tell how good a pellet is by the temperature of the air that comes out of your stove!
    3. If your pellet stove breaks or does not work correctly, you will be visited 24/7/365 by a representative of the company who will promptly fix it to your satisfaction.
    4. These things are magic. After all, heat comes out of them,

I'm sure there are many others......
  19. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Put 100,000 .25 inch glass balls into the hooper and run the auger motor until it is primed and they start dropping into a cup, stop the auger feed, then run the auger for a minute.

Repeat the experiment with 100,000 .25 inch lead balls.

Count the contents of the two cups.

Repeat the above experiment a few times, discuss the results.

This is an exercise you can do for yourself.
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Interesting. But lead in my hopper? :)
  21. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    web, Really? Checking the temps is a myth? I've been doing it(plus checking a few others things as well) trying to get max heat with a good clean burn. Added length of burn to see how long they last this season.

What are you trying to say that all wood pellets are really the same? Now thats a MYTH!
  22. LIpelletpig

LIpelletpig Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    PFI -The Pellet Fuels Institute is a non-profit association that serves the pellet industry......Think again!
  23. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    this one might set a few off their seat. Myth, the need for OAK is only an opinion.
  24. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Correct.
    Really
    and, yes, all pellets are not the same.

any other questions?
  25. Bxpellet

Bxpellet Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bronx, NY
    This is correct, I have my stove on the first floor, pretty open floor plan, the second floor far bedroom is cooler then any other room in the house, does the stove make a deference, Is my Con Ed bill lower I would say yes, but I still have to use it to get heat to that far bedroom.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.