Do you have to use high temp silicone when assembling dbl walled black pipe or just the 3 black scre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
I am doing the instal for my Summit. We have the cathedral support box framed in and will be doing all of the Class a and roof work this weekend. Just wondering about the black pipe. I chose Super Vent which is a Selkirk produck and wondering if you have to use silicone at the joints? Im new so Im not sure if it would leak or not if you didnt use the silicone therefore creating a drafting problem???? Anyway, went with the doublewall which has a lifetime warrarenty. Also, is there a good way of connecting the the fresh air intake.............the friggin thing is SO heavy that its hard to get underneath any ideas?

If you do want to use a sealant use furnace cement, not silicone.

Do you "have" to? No. Not in my county. I used no sealant anywhere in the entire chimney system which consists of class A chimney and double wall connector pipe.

I was able to attach the air intake pipe as the stove was being slid into place. No more cold drafts across the floor like with my old Lopi without the OAK!

Status
Not open for further replies.