Do you have to use the starting collar on a Accentra 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marty103

Feb 17, 2015
Pasadena MD
Finally had my accentra 52i installed today. The installer did not use the starting collar on the flue stub. Instead he siliconed the inside of the flue stub and pushed the 4 inch pipe inside of it and secured it with 3 screws and more silicone on the outside. I asked if exhaust was going to escape and he said no because the exhaust was being forced up the pipe. I had an OAK installed and ran all the way up the chimney. Both the 4 and 3 inch pipes are 25 feet long. I would of thought any pipe would of attached to the outside of the flue stub. Thoughts? Thank you.

I assume that the starting collar is just that and should be used. Is the installer also the dealer? Might want to contact Harman to see if you get a response on this... might only get the response to contact your dealer but worth the try:(

I have personally installed 2 P-52i inserts. At 475lbs it is a heafty stove!
Anyway, the way he installed it is correct. The 4 inch liner fits in the flue collar. Then you must use the self tappers to secure it and High Temp Silicone to seal it. I use the clear color RTV because it looks much better. :)
See my thread with pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/installing-the-optional-p52i-air-adapter.132111/

Did he install the optional air adapter?
I always do and run a 3 inch flex liner for the fresh air, (also called OAK = Outside Air Kit) up the chimney too. The chimney top cap for the fresh air must be lower than the flue liner so exhaust gases do not get into the fresh air! Last but not least, 100% Rock wool insulation such as Roxul should be stuffed between the liners and on the damper shelf to keep the nice room heat that you paid for, from going up the chimney!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.