1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do you keep your stove lit all night?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BrianN, Oct 5, 2012.

1. imacman

imacman Guest

They worry about "sparks from the pipe". ;lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    Well, I am asking more for my wife. I am not at home, and she is trying to learn how to use the stove. What to set it at during the night. I really do not like the Harman settings, the dials are hard to read and dial in. Oh well, hope she gets used to it soon.
    We have a Harman accentra insert.
  3. bill3rail

bill3rail Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    LI, NY
    I only installed it in January of 2012 and last winter was mild, so we turned it on as needed.
    I feel confident enough to run it through the night if we need to.

Bill
  4. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    I love my XXV, but the Harman controls suck. Someday they'll make that big, bold leap into 1990 ...
  5. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    24/7 - that's the beauty of pellets - in the coldest part of the season, you might burn a bag a day - so $5. to have constant even heat. I put my stove on "stove temp" versus "room temp", which ensures my entire house is the same temperature all day long.
  6. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    You mean when a seed pops??
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Brokenwing and Eatonpcat like this.
  8. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Depending on where you sleep, the stove running at night may scare the hell out of you the first few times you wake up.

Mine is an insert, and our bedroom is off the living room where it's installed. Several times I would wake up at 02:00 and see the light of flames dancing on the wall and it would scare the hell out of me.

Or you would come home from grocery shopping at 18:00 on a Sunday and see the light glowing through the windows and it would make you stop for a second.

After a while it becomes a very reassuring sight.

I leave mine set to the t-stat. I have the stat 15' away on the other side of the chimney/house that it vents into. It assures a fairly even temp.
  9. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    My home is usually only cold late at night but mostly in the morning due to solar gain during the day. SO i need to start my fire late at night and let it burn out by morning.
  10. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    This, exactly. I won't go to bed or leave teh house with the dryer on, but the stove, I'm OK.
    DexterDay likes this.
  11. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    Daksy,
    I'm considering a P43. Do you scrape the burn pot once a day? Do you do any cleaning between the three week shutdowns? Sounds pretty sweet!
  12. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    I run mine 24/7 except to clean on Sunday AM. You'll get over the fear of it. After all; your oil or other furnace runs all day, it has a fire in the box as well.
  13. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    24/7 first with countryside,then bixby now this year Harman pc45's . One in the basement and a used one in the garage. Full time burning multifuel since 2003. No furnace since 2005. Have a smaller Dovre gas stove for backup that cost me $100 with venting. The savings on the stove will pay for a lot gas even though it's not real high efficiency of a furnace. 200 gallons of propane lasts over two seasons and is great for shouldering and power outages. Last heating season used only 25 gallons.
  14. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Hey, SteveB...I scrape the burnpot about every other day, maybe every 3 - 4 bags or so. Depends on how much I'm putting thru it. Once a week I'll scrape the accordion up top & maybe twice a week I'll use some Speedy White on the glass...When I scrape the "Harman Speedbump" outta the burnpot, I also move the fly ash from where it catches on either side, into the ash pan. HTH
  15. nayslayer

nayslayer Member

Loc:
    wallkill,ny
    Run all the time, as others say, furnace has a fire in it as well, no worries
  16. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
    I just let mine run overnight for the first time last weekend. Previous to my new Harman, I had a Lopi FoxFire and unless it was very, very cold outside, I would never run it overnight or during the day if I wasn't home for the entire day. Two days this week now I've run the new Harman 24/7 on Room Temp. with manual light. It got pretty cold here in upstate, NY last night and it was pretty comfortable getting up this morning and the stove still running. I turned it way down this morning but left it running as I left for work. It's only supposed to get up to 58 degrees today so I figured I'd keep it going. Interestingly enough, I just had my oil tank filled yesterday with 133 gallons of fuel oil. $466.12 cents was my bill. I'm hoping with the new Harman running 24/7 this heating season that it'll be the only fill -up I'll need this year. At $3.55 a gallon for fuel oil, it'll be a pricey winter otherwise.....
  17. bschrager

bschrager Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    Typical working family with kids and school..........pets at home all day.

Typical week for us is, Friday after getting home from work we will light the stove and it stays on till Monday morning when we go back to work/school. Then every night around 5pm when we get home from work the stove is lit and we will turn it off each morning before we leave for work again.

80% of my heat comes from pellets but also have oil heat, now natural gas since I recently converted. I can supplement with a little gas heat to heat the house up right when we get home each day during the week until the pellet stove is hot enough to maintain temp.

Typical winter I burn about 2 tons of pellets and 300 gallons of oil, now it will be about 2 tons of pellets with some natural gas as well.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Member

During the winter mine only gets shut down for cleaning, other then that it is running 24/7
  19. SteveB

SteveB Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    Ok thanks Bob, sounds good to me!

BrianN,
    I burn two pellet stoves 24/7 during the heating season. We've gone out of town for about a day and a half several times with them burning on low while we're gone. Keep it cleaned and maintained and it should treat you well!

Steve
  20. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    24/7 when it's cold out baby. As you've heard, we all were scared newbs at the beginning.
  21. MommyOf4

MommyOf4 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    You leave it on even if you leave your house for hours at a time?

<-----Scared newbie. LOL
  22. imacman

imacman Guest

Yes, the stat controls it. Turns On-Off (or changes from Hi-Lo during real cold weather) even while I'm at work and house is empty.....gotta keep the dog warm too! ==c
  23. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    This is how I run my stove too ..for the most part! I was concerned at first . If I woke up I would go downstairs and check it in the middle of the night! I have 3 females in the house also! Wife and 2 daughters, first thing they all do when they come downstairs is stand in front of the stove for 20 mins! :)
  24. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    That's too funny, my wife will do the same thing sometimes, as if she just came in from the frozen tundra.
  25. cold front

cold front Member

Loc:
    western,NY
    Auto stat is the way to go. Just clean it, fill it, set it and forget about it, like you would an appliance.