1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

DO YOU LEAVE YOUR PELLET STOVE RUNNING WHEN YOUR AWAY

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jabbers, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    great white northern ontario
    X2

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. skibumm100

skibumm100 Member

Loc:
    southern NH
    I didn't let it run when we were out for the first week or so, just to make sure everything worked as it's supposed to. After that, if it's cold, it's on. If we go away, it runs out of pellets and the oil burner kicks on. Mine is an insert and a hopper full only runs about 12 hrs.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Yes, but being on a short leash it usually isn't more than 6 hours at time.

That's enough time for a junk store run and a sausage platter along with a decent brew or a large platter of seafood with a decent brew.

I do not leave the house with the clothes dryer running, nowhere near enough safeties nor can the dryer contain a fire and just like the stove it gets regular vent cleaning.
    Mr. Spock and pen like this.
  4. bmanMA

bmanMA New Member

Loc:
    Lunenburg, MA
    Wife's around, in and out during the day with the kids, so it's not alone for all that long.
    But, I think we will let it run once she goes back to work (another topic ::P ).
  5. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Crammed her full friday afternoon, turned the thermostat down 5 degrees, set to manual low, was still burning today at 6pm when we got home. ;)
    DexterDay and Defiant like this.
  6. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    24/7 all day all the time :cool:
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Hey, we're talking stoves here... :p
    Defiant likes this.
  8. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Thanks, thought I was in a beer thread :p
    will711, urkiddin and smoke show like this.
  9. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    I leave it running all day long even when no one is home and its for usually 7-8 hrs at a time mon to fri.
    Normally turn it down to 2 on the heat
  10. Countryboymo

Countryboymo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    W Central MO
    Only on days that end in Y. On all others we make sure it is shut off.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  11. mikesj

mikesj Member

Loc:
    Western MD
    I posted the same question back in the fall and had the same replies. For years I would let my stove run out in the morning or shut it down. I would have my programmable thermostat fire up the oil furnace before I got home. I saved a bunch of oil doing this, but I still burned about a tank each year.

I was hesitant to run my stove when I was away for several reasons. First, I have an older house in a remote area. Second, I have had a few glitches with my stove over the years. Third, my dealer acted as if running my stove when I was sleeping or when I wasn't home was inviting disaster.

Well, my home is still old and it hasn't moved so that part I had to deal with. I figured out how to solve most of the glitches and my understanding of the stove has greatly increased. I also realized that my dealer had little to no knowledge about pellet stoves. I don't believe he is a Harman dealer anymore.

Anyway, I've been running my stove all winter and have only shut her down for cleanings. No concerns at this time.
  12. gengle

gengle Member

Loc:
    Central PA - Capitol Region
    With the exception of cleanings, and the two or three times life got in the way and I missed filling it up, it's been on since mid October.
    Defiant likes this.
  13. ohbix

ohbix Member

Loc:
    OH
    Runs nonstop except to clean. The first week I had the jitters as well. Made sure the smoke and CO detectors were operating. After the first week, all was well. As w/ Mikesj, as I gained a better understanding of stove operation and safety features, I became comfortable in leaving it unattended.
    jimmieguns likes this.
  14. gymrat0663

gymrat0663 Member

Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    It's our primary source of heat so it's a 24/7 deal minus the cleanings! :cool:
  15. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    On the thermostat 24x7
  16. nhredbird

nhredbird Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    Octobber till April 24/7 except to clean or an exceptional warm day.
  17. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Member

Loc:
    SW Ontario
    For seven years I've let her run 24/7 with our electric furnace as backup in case she were to shut down for any reason. If I didn't trust her to run safely while I was away, I certainly wouldn't trust her run safely while I was sleeping in the house either.
    Defiant likes this.
  18. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Lancelot, how is Arthur and the round table these days? :cool:
    gbreda and smoke show like this.
  19. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    NO...for the first month or so. Once we made friends - never turn it off. Funny what Smokey said about the Dryer, it's true. I always make it a point to shutdown the Washer and Dryer before leaving. Never give the stove a second thought. The girl in the picture over there is able to get out of the house though...just in case.
  20. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Mine runs 24/7. Only time it would not run is if I am gone several nights and it runs out of fuel.
  21. Happy Hour

Happy Hour New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Installed 2/22/13 and it has been shut down 2 times for cleanings (wife's doing a good job keeping it running while I'm away)
  22. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    If you leave it running, you better go catch it... Man I miss the pre caller-id days when you could crank call people at 1am. Kids these days will never have that fun.
  23. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Mine has been running non stop (except for cleaning) since December. No worries at all.
  24. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Same here- watched it, learned it, now- no worries...made to operate like it should-- carefree,unlike wood burning stoves. I also have a woodburning stove so I am NOT anti wood ! for all my woodburning friends!!!! :):cool:::F
  25. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    Mine runs when required 24/7:)