Do you need a UL number or serial number

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybird

Dec 14, 2010
NW VA/ Shenandoah Valley
I was looking at purchasing an older Timberline double door wood stove from a friend and putting it in the basement.

My insurance agent told me I need professional installation and inspection as well as the stove can not be my only source of heat (which it is not) for it to comply with the homeowners insurance. I specifically asked about the UL number and or EPA certification and he said just the installation and inspection.

Would someone explain about the UL number and why it is needed. Should I check with my agent in person and have him check the policy with me there.

I do not want to spend a good bit of money having this installed and it ends up not passing inspection and the insurance attempts to not cover the stove and or my fire coverage.

Thanks for the help.

In some localities any appliance that is not UL listed can't be used in a home, theoretically. If the inspector is any good he is either going to not sign off on an inspection of the installation or he/she/it will require the default clearances for the stove which is 36 inches on all sides including the back. Which puts that old honker way out in the room and eats a lot of space on the front and sides.

Get you a better stove.

Money is kind of an issue... and the price is right on the Timberline. I can not afford a new stove and kind of need the stove this winter. I Know it will run through wood, but I have the ability and intrigue to setup the type of shelf that I saw in a fisher thread here.

I grew up burning wood and feel like I am permanently chilled in my new home with no wood heat.

I would love some info on good affordable stoves.

Jaybird said:
Money is kind of an issue... and the price is right on the Timberline. I can not afford a new stove and kind of need the stove this winter. I Know it will run through wood, but I have the ability and intrigue to setup the type of shelf that I saw in a fisher thread here.

I grew up burning wood and feel like I am permanently chilled in my new home with no wood heat.

I would love some info on good affordable stoves.

Look at Englander's line of stoves. They make Englander, Summer's Heat, and Timber Ridge. http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/

It's not so much a number as it is a mark . . . the UL symbol or mark on a stove basically tells you that it was tested by the Underwriters Laboratory to meet certain criteria . . . including how close it can be placed to combustibles such as walls and still be safe. As Bart mentioned one reason it is good to have the UL mark is due to the fact that unlisted (or untested stoves) mean that you have to install the stove 3 feet out from the walls (or install shielding on the wall) which translates to lost space in the room.

As Pagey suggested . . . Englander makes a good stove. Some folks have also reported good luck with Drolets and US Stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.