1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do you need to sweep chimney for yearly cleaning?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by md2002, May 11, 2013.

1. md2002

md2002 Member

Loc:
    United States
    Hello,

I was going to buy a chimney sweeper and sweep the steel chimney for the pellet stove. My father in law tells me with a pellet stove there is no creosote so no need to sweep. I do everything else, but should I bother doing a chimney sweep?

Thanks
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Should clean the vent pipe at least once a year. Over time, ash and creosote can slowly build up blocking the vent which will lead to a whole mess of problems for you and your stove.
    will711 likes this.
  3. Cincinnati Kid

Cincinnati Kid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati
    If you are talking about your pipe, yes, you need to clean it every year. I just had my dealer come out and clean both my pipes at a cost of $232.00
  4. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    There shouldn't be any creosote, but there will be some ash clean it out, the stove will be happier:)
    imacman and Defiant like this.
  5. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Absolutely clean it, should be done after every season, some of us do it a couple of times:cool:
  6. mainegeek

mainegeek Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I brush the pipe after every ton (when cleaning the burn area). I break down everything, sweep, and leaf blow in the spring when closing the stove. In between I just empty the ash pan