Do you need to sweep chimney for yearly cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
Hello,

I was going to buy a chimney sweeper and sweep the steel chimney for the pellet stove. My father in law tells me with a pellet stove there is no creosote so no need to sweep. I do everything else, but should I bother doing a chimney sweep?

Thanks
Mike

Should clean the vent pipe at least once a year. Over time, ash and creosote can slowly build up blocking the vent which will lead to a whole mess of problems for you and your stove.

Reactions: will711
Hello,

I was going to buy a chimney sweeper and sweep the steel chimney for the pellet stove. My father in law tells me with a pellet stove there is no creosote so no need to sweep. I do everything else, but should I bother doing a chimney sweep?

Thanks
Mike
If you are talking about your pipe, yes, you need to clean it every year. I just had my dealer come out and clean both my pipes at a cost of $232.00

There shouldn't be any creosote, but there will be some ash clean it out, the stove will be happier:)

Reactions: imacman and Defiant
Absolutely clean it, should be done after every season, some of us do it a couple of times:cool:

I brush the pipe after every ton (when cleaning the burn area). I break down everything, sweep, and leaf blow in the spring when closing the stove. In between I just empty the ash pan

Status
Not open for further replies.