do you recommend a used P61!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2008
great white northern ontario
i might be going to have a look at a 1998 P61 to replace my 2005 accentra. recommended or should i pass. the last freeze showed signs my present stove is not cutting it which i was aware of. the house is 1500sqft and the stove is in basement and the wife says NO to upstairs placement. what would be a fair price for a non-igniter stove in well cared condition including piping. any concerns and issues with this model.
tia,

The problem is where you are installing the stove, not the stove not performing. It should be on the first floor. Buy this one and install in the basement, you're going to have the same problem.

Tom C.

Reactions: P38X2
When did harman change the auger drive system? If still chain drive, will have alot of wear? I figure when buying a older stove the replacement of all motors at the least.

If your Wife wants to be Warm, tell her to find a spot upstairs. That Accentra is beautiful stove. Shouldn't be banished to the basement :(

The P-61 will definitely do better. But..... Still should go upstairs

Reactions: P38X2
wife stills says NO! back to the drawing board. maybe one of those italian model might convince her, thinking out loud! asthma and allergies are the main reason. finding a newer model is next to nil in this area. smaller stoves are much easier, dual stove set-up would be the way to go but i'm dreaming now.....

I am going to do a remote fan in a box with filter to snag some of those dust bunnies and hair balls this week when the temp falls again.

Is the basement insulated? $ spent there first will do the most, then get the stove with the best btu output that you can afford.

The P61 is a WORKHORSE! Easy maintenance. You may end up replacing original parts but that is inevitable in any stove for the most part. Manual lighting is STUPID easy. They can be dressed up with OEM accessories. Also, a nice fireplace screen in front of it can hide it a bit and add some charm. That may sound weird but it can work. There are a bunch of different styles.

Maybe after a few days, the wifey will enjoy the warmer temps and forget all about it. The ladies love being warm. If yer lucky(or unlucky), she may become "too" interested in it and you'll have to compete with her in the fiddling/tinkering of it ;)

Ivanhoe:

My wife has asthma and allergies. When we were looking for an alternative to electric heat, we were worried about how a pellet stove would affect her. Our stove is in the living room. It has not aggravated either condition.

-Aq

Ivanhoe:

My wife has asthma and allergies. When we were looking for an alternative to electric heat, we were worried about how a pellet stove would affect her. Our stove is in the living room. It has not aggravated either condition.

-Aq
I have a bit of asthma and allergies, but never bothered by the stove. I keep the vac with heap filter running whenever I have the stove door open for any cleaning. Also run an air filtration system. Did that long before getting the pellet stove. We used to burn wood. That was way more messy than the pellets.
When I load the pellet stove, I cut the end off the bag, then sit the cut end in the hopper, then pull up on the bag slowly. Very little dust this way.

i might be going to have a look at a 1998 P61 to replace my 2005 accentra. recommended or should i pass. the last freeze showed signs my present stove is not cutting it which i was aware of. the house is 1500sqft and the stove is in basement and the wife says NO to upstairs placement. what would be a fair price for a non-igniter stove in well cared condition including piping. any concerns and issues with this model.
tia,
Ivanhoe,..can I get first dibs on the accentra ??

is ducting an option with the stoves you are talking about?

is ducting an option with the stoves you are talking about?

Now your talkin, Take a look at the Eco 65. Add some duct to move the heat up where you need it, Insutale the duct to prevent heatloss and I bet you are much warmer.

Wait a bit and Northern tool might have the eco 65 on closout. Bet you get it for just over 2K. Nice stove for that money.

last year episode with sorting my long pellets affected her health. so far she's ok this year. might keep the accentra for upstairs use on very cold nights only when i could convince the princess. any info on ducting a P61? i've found a eco65 for just over $2k but i'm concerned on quality issues, harman blood speaking out loud! maybe a furnace might be in the cards but $$$ & space could get in the way. yes, the walkout basement is insulated.

Reactions: DexterDay
I was offered a dual ducted Elna today for 2300. I got my eye on a Bosca though.

Status
Not open for further replies.