Do You Remove Stove Pipe When Cleaning The Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Do you always remove your chimney when cleaning your chimney?

I am planning my next chimney install/reline and I've got a dealer that sells Homesaver liners (anyone like this brand) and they are suggesting I put a cap on the bottom of the tee and pull my stove pipe when cleaning the chimney. I can see pulling the stove pipe once a year for the season ending thorough cleaning, but I think I'd rather go the bottom of the chimney for cleanout than caping the tee and pulling the stove pipe to vacuum out the chimney. However, for this chimney, if I go to the bottom, I've got to cut a cleanout into the chimney.

Just courious what you folks are doing.

Thanks,
Bill

Having the tee is great for cleaning a chimney as it makes the cleaning much easier plus you can always just remove the cap and look into the chimney to see if it does need cleaning.

First year full time buring and i have made a pledge to myself to clean the Chimney system once per month regardless of what I find. This includes taking off and cleaning the stove pipe and T. Takes an extra 10-15 mins and since I am off the ladder I can drink beer while cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.