Do you save special wood for cold days?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legrandice

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2006
South Hadley, MA
This pic is a huge knot of what I think is white oak. Its heavy, huge and a real pain to split. On other words, perfect for an overnight burn on a cold night. I also have a lot of black locust which I favor for the same cold overnights.

Of course, I seem to spend to much time staring at my wood stack when I am out grilling.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388711897245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388711897245.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 273
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388711906491.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388711906491.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 240
Cold whether wood for me is oak, black and honey locust hedge, what little I have of it. I generally get a good base with ash then mix in some of the other. Locust and hedge, you want to mix that with something else. A full load of hedge will turn a stove into molten metal,> Locust isn't as bad as hedge but almost. Both are HOT, HOT, HOT. I don't have any hard maple.

I have some 3-year old shagbark hickory that will meet its fate tonight and tomorrow. It is burning much better than last year. Dang, that stuff can throw off some heat.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
Yes, Hickory, Oak, Apple, Dogwood etc. are all put in a special "kick-ass" section for the cold weather like we are having now, as well as being mixed in with the regular pile.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Absolutely - Black Locust and some large oak and hickory splits for the long overnight burns

Oak and Locust all the way! I personally like Oak best.

The biggest Oak and Cherry splits that I can pull out of the piles.

Big hardwood splits with knots for the overnight burns on the really cold nights. Definitely save those for the 'special occasions.'

This afternoon, before the snow started flying, I went out to the wood shed and picked through to bring in a few wheelbarrows of oak. They're calling for single digits overnight and highs in the teens or low 20's right through next week. I'll mix a little ash in, but I want that good, hot oak when it gets this cold.

I save Birch for the extra cold and Cherry for the special occasions...

I just loaded up with black locust on top of a good coal bed...should keep the house somewhat warm. Bedroom is 57 reports the wife..i am sitting in shorts next to the fire! Time to crawl under the down comforter. I am saving the huge piece for tomorrow.

Reactions: albert1029
-2 and feels like -19 according to TWC. All I have is ash. Load it up and its toasty in here. It burns a little fast. My oak is not seasoned yet. Love burning in this cold weather. Stove runs great. I'll have to keep my eye out for the knotty wood for these nights.

I've got some 2 year Oak, and a non working MM.....it's gonna hafta do.....burning some now, seems to be okay:)

I've got some 2 year Oak, and a non working MM.....it's gonna hafta do.....burning some now, seems to be okay:)

I REALLY want to grab that dog in your picture and squeeze his/her face and give him a hug! As my wife would say "he has a kissy-face", one that is cute and you can kiss! ;lol

I know that sounds a little off the beam but we love animals and that is one CUTE pup! ;)

Generally, I burn what is next in the rotation. But, I had some choices for this cold snap so I left the bit of maple that was easiest to get to in the stacks, and brought in just black locust. If it were going to be a pain to get to it, I wouldn't have bothered,,,,, however there IS a difference!

Had -2 last night, should be a bit colder tonight, calling for -13 the beginning of next week. I know this is normal for a lot of guys, but it's been a few years since we've had temps in the forecast more than -5.

Stay warm

Always. Since I was the one responsible to bring wood inside the house, I'd cherry pick based on the weather. With the cold blast you all are having - it would be nothing but OAK!

You bet! I was moving a load up to the house yesterday. Had been burning ash and sassafras till now mostly. Got further back in the shed and saw it.... huge chunks of oak I had purposely stacked in the back of one of my bays in the shed for mid winter use.

I REALLY want to grab that dog in your picture and squeeze his/her face and give him a hug! As my wife would say "he has a kissy-face", one that is cute and you can kiss! ;lol

I know that sounds a little off the beam but we love animals and that is one CUTE pup! ;)
That's my boy, Frisco....wish I could give him a hug also.....passed at the age of 17 years old 2 years ago......miss him terribly, won't go into detail how he left this world....don't need the tears, but it was peaceful, and painless. Now we have Codi left, he's adjusted better than I have....love him to death also....he goes everywhere with us, or we don't go

I've got madrona for especially cold days. But here in Seattle, an especially cold day is below 30F. Normally I burn lots of douglas fir and cedar, which gets the job done here just fine.

Its real cold here this week and I use my mulberry/locust stash. It's a real fireworks display in the stove:).
I would add some osage to it but I think the stove would explode.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Cold weather for us means oak during the nights and ash during the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.