Do you see any way I could improve upon my gathering technique?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you are handy with welding, making a skidding arch is nice option http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...ATV-Skidding-Arches/LogRite-Fetching-Arch.axd

It get most of the wood off the ground except for the butt end and makes hauling a lot safer as the front butt is up off the ground so its far less likely to get caught on something. My brother has a similar rig and its surprising the size of the log he can haul.

This was to be my suggestion as well. I have often thought of making a larger version to use behind the little tractor you see in my sig. It doesn't have a 3- point hitch but is small, fun to use, and awfully handy in the woods.

nice tractor.

i think though it depends on your woods,if its dry and open you might be able to. i have tight woods and its always wet, always seemed like trailer and cutting it up there is the best option because i am not towing a log though. you would be able to turn and it requires more traction than any machine i have. i have industrial tires on my tc30, 4wd and lockers and its all it can do to get out there by itself on years like this where it didnt freeze. i have to use my rhino and do a hundred loads. when its froze i might be able to get the trailer back there too but i wouldnt be able to drag a long tree over ice, my trails are the width of a truck and have a bunch of turns. the PO of my house used the same trailer and a 8n

Reactions: jaoneill
nice tractor.

i think though it depends on your woods,if its dry and open you might be able to. i have tight woods and its always wet, always seemed like trailer and cutting it up there is the best option because i am not towing a log though. you would be able to turn and it requires more traction than any machine i have. i have industrial tires on my tc30, 4wd and lockers and its all it can do to get out there by itself on years like this where it didnt freeze. i have to use my rhino and do a hundred loads. when its froze i might be able to get the trailer back there too but i wouldnt be able to drag a long tree over ice, my trails are the width of a truck and have a bunch of turns. the PO of my house used the same trailer and a 8n

Thanks,
I have a bit over 100 acres of woodlot, little of which would be what you might call open, 20 acres or so that are wet, all defined/devided by 3 rock ridges/hills that are completely inaccessible with any type of machine. Over the 45 years that I've been here we have developed a network of roadways, the main ones being usable with our bigger 70-80 hp tractors. The "M" is my go to; although the little 25hp 4x4 Mitsubitch is a bit more maneuverable and better where it's wet or hilly, I am an old guy and kinda favor old, tired iron.... This year I am cutting in a more open area than usual and have been using "Ivan", a 45hp Zetor, with the trailer, and the vertical 3pt splitter, giving me more options when I get to the woodlot.