Do you store wood inside or outside the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you have some work cut out for you and you are making plans like everyone should. Perhaps others would do different but that is the case with all of life. What counts is to do what you want and need done and do it your way and, of course, you are looking for opinions and that is great.

As for the covering of the wood, I have always believed that by leaving the covering off the first summer and fall allows for better evaporation of moisture so we cover just before snow flies. Then we cover the top of the wood and never the sides or ends. Leave those open for further drying during the winter and yes, it will dry some over the winter. For covering, I've used lots of different things and also have left completely uncovered until it was used. But I've found the wood a bit better if we cover the top but you also have to be careful how you cover. At present we use galvanized roofing and it works great. You only have to be careful if you use more than one piece to make sure you don't have low spots where water will run in; you want the water to run off not in the stack.

As for the roofing, we got what we have by tearing down old buildings and I have a couple more to tear down so we'll have even more. Last year I tore down a shed that was in one of our township cemeteries and got even more roofing plus quite a bit of useable lumber. It cost me only my time and it cost the township nothing. Good deal for all concerned. I also have my eye on an old corn crib that a neighbor has and it needs tearing down. I just might be able to help him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.