Do you think a soapstone hearth would retain alot of heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
Just thinking outloud here. I would have purchased a soapstone woodstove but I could not find one that fit my style. So naturally I went with a summit (which I luv) but was thinking,.......could you build your hearth pad of soapstone and retain a bit of heat? Im thinking it probably wouldnt be worth it as it wouldnt get hot enough to make much of a difference...but was just wondering.

PS - (no pun intended but my furnace hasnt kicked on in 1 month 1 week...yeah baby!)

My initial thought is that it wouldnt get that hot as well. Although, I am sure it would retain whatever heat is does get. All in all, probably not worth it IMO.

Soapstone has a specific heat of .22 but most stone hovers in the .20 - .25 range. Granite, marble, brick, concrete, etc - minimal difference -

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html

If you like the look of soapstone, (it is somewhat attractive) by all means go for it - wrap your hearth in it, stove in it, mantle, etc. But as far as any difference in 'real world' heat storage - might as well use what ever stone you find attractive

There MAY be a small benefit, but nothing really noticable.

I raised and extended the hearth last year and used 1/2" soapstone tiles. I agree with the consenus... I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. The hearth itself does not really see alot of heat, so there's not much to store. It certainly doen't hurt.

No doubt that a large masonry interior mass - like an alcove or interior fireplace with a stove in it - can really add to the storage and release of heat. But just a hearth - especially since it is below the stove, would not really do the job. Soapstone is very soft, anyway, and prob not the best hearth material.

Webmaster said:
Soapstone is very soft, anyway, and prob not the best hearth material.

Well - it is soft as far as stone goes. But it (so far) seems to be fine. As long as you are careful setting the stove and not dragging 500# across it, I don't think you would have any problems. You can scratch it, and even "dent" it, but its not like you would do any damage by dropping a log or stepping on it. I honestly don't think it would be any more of a concern than using stone or ceramic tile. If you like the look of it - I would not hesitate to use it, but I wouldn't do it hoping to get some additional heat storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.