Do you think I have enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
All my wood is stacked on pallets. I think they measure 4x4, with the wood stacked about 4ft high. So far I've gone through 2 pallets worth, with 7 remaining. Do you guys think I have enough to make it through the winter season?

Nope.

Maybe. It depends I guess on your climate and of course what the winter brings. For some winter is Oct-Apr, for others it's Dec -Mar. How long did it take you to go through two pallets? If you figure the math, you've got about 3 more of that time frame (using the 7th pallet as extra since it will most likely average colder temps). So if it took you a month to go through 2 pallets, there's about 3 months at the most supply left.

Well.... not at the current rate..... you've gone through close to 30% of your supply, and its early December.... so that puts you sometime in February for the end of you pile.

Might as well start accumulating more wood now. If you are fortunate enough to make it through the winter on the remaining 7 pallets then you can use the newly acquired wood for next year.

A pallet a month?? This would indicate 7 more months of wood on hand. In that case, you'll be fine. Must be a part time burner?

Where are you located and what stove? Base on current rate you've burned about a cord and have 3.5 cords left to go. But if winter really hits hard in your area in January, then your consumption could double during that time.

Doesn't look good. :grrr:

It could be close, but you might make it until March. If it's a warm winter, then maybe April or more. Who knows with the wacky weather these days?

If it's your first season with that stove, then you'll use less as you learn how to use the stove better. If it's your first season burning wood, then the same logic applies. On the other hand, burning a pallet in October in Rochester ain't quite the same as burning a pallet in deepest, darkest February.

Anyway, we've all been there and know what it feels like. My advice, if you can't get any more dry wood, is to sit back and enjoy the wood heat while it lasts, then use your experience to guide your wood procurement efforts next Spring.

No way. January & February haven't hit yet and they are by far the coldest!!! Those 2 months alone account for probably 60-70% of the wood I burn a year. Sorry... you won't make it. You can be a good judge by how you're doing about the first week of February, that to me is about what I call the middle point of winter but at the rate you're going and how much Jan & Feb eat my guess you'll be out early February. I think you got about 1/2 as much as you needed by sounds of things.

I ran out my first year as well, almost made it. Just make sure you keep enough for a week before switching over to regular heat as, you don't want to burn through it all and then have a big storm hit and be without power and wish you'd kept an emergency supply.

Harley said:
Well.... not at the current rate..... you've gone through close to 30% of your supply, and its early December.... so that puts you sometime in February for the end of you pile.

I think it is closer to 22% that he used!

Only the number of degree days will tell for sure. But start accumulating now. Maybe you can find some good dead falls and use them in April/may to just take the chill off.

Jim Walsh said:
Harley said:

I think it is closer to 22% that he used!

Only the number of degree days will tell for sure. But start accumulating now. Maybe you can find some good dead falls and use them in April/may to just take the chill off.

You're right, Jim.... I misread... I thought it was 2 out of 7 pallets gone..... not 2 gone-7 to go. Sheeesh!!! and I'm an accountant.... maybe I should take this busy season off :lol:

Anyway - I think its going to be real close to get through the winter.

Depends a lot. I've been tense every year starting the season, seems like I'm burning about a cord a month or a little more, and I usually start with 5 cord in early to mid-November. But then I end up with wood left over at the end (usually a cord or so).

One thing I do notice with the WW is that it burns a lot of wood fast in 'bypass' mode getting warmed up, but will go for hrs on a load once you go catalytic. And I think we become more tolerant of the cold as the winter goes on - where we maybe keep the living room in the low 70's in Nov, we may be content with the upper 60's in Feb.

If it's decent wood, and you're on about the same track I am, you'll probably make it with almost nothing left over in the spring.

Steve

I started out with 10 face cords (this is what I normally buy every year). This is my 3rd year of burning. I've got to say, as a firefighter, it goes against my nature to have a fire in the house - but I do like the low gas bills...

Eric J. has over a 100 cords (ok I'm exaggerating a little) stacked in his backyard, perhaps you are close enough ?

I picked up $40 - 50 worth from a local supplier last year when I ran out, if you get desperate you can break up your pallets

Buying more wood is not a problem, if it comes to that. Next year, I think 15 face cords would be the way to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.