1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do you think its worth driving 20 mile for wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by sapratt, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Check on the tow capacity on those full size pick ups, you may be able to tow a lot more than you can load in the bed? Just a thought!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    anyway of splitting it there and leavign it and then going abck with a bigger truck? you can haul alot more wood when it is split believe it or not, just stacks better, less voids
  3. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Rent a big as uhaul for a day. They aren't that much if you're staying local and you can put a sh!t-load of wood in them. You can also rent their trailers. ;)
  4. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Put some add-a-leafs or air bags in your half ton and that bably will hual a hell of a lot more... and safely. :)
  5. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    All the encouragment I need. The chainsaw will be coming back to life this weekend maybe even tomorrow.
    I'm definetly going to keep driving up there to cut. If I can get enough for next year that would be great.
    Because of limited space I'm not sure if I can get store more than 2 seasons worth. If I split and stack all the rounds I have I will probably
    have 6 to 7 cord total.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Absolutely. My half ton can legally haul 400 lbs of cargo but can tow 4000 lbs of cargo on my 2500 lb trailer. Not both though since tongue weight counts as payload.
  7. Highbeam

Loc:
    Woops, the closer it is to log length, the denser your wood will be. So log length gives more lbs/CF than rounds. Rounds gives more lbs/CF than split. Every time you chop your wood into smaller pieces makes more air spaces which mean the log gets bigger as you cut.

Bottom line is that you will be able to fit more wood into your truck if you leave it log length or rounds than if split. Finely split wood is the least efficient way to transport it.

I had to try it to believe it.
  8. Highbeam

Loc:
    Ack! You can indeed haul heavier loads more safely with these devices but none of them will legally raise your rated limits. You will more safely haul within the ratings which is why I installed heavy duty tires and overload springs (timbrens) on my half ton hauler.
  9. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Load up some rounds and stuff the voids with splits.
    Mike
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Always remember your weights, especially with a fully loaded truck & trailer.

You have to be able to STOP safely, and quickly if necessary. Better to be safe and make 2 runs, than be dead, or take some one else out with you.
  11. gator1

gator1 New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info. I will probably put helper springs on eventfully. I had them on my 3/4 ton and they worked real good. For now I just make a couple trips. I have been pretty lucky so far. I just pickup some hickory from a neighbor you couldn't get your arms around the first 8 feet of the trunk on this one.
  12. LONDONDERRY

LONDONDERRY Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I live iN londonderry, NH and was offered to take as much wood from a friend of mine that lives in Hill, NH that 50 miles each way. So i've been logging for the last 3 weeks. the old saying if its free take as much as you can
  13. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    I hope to be getting a couple loads of hickory in the coming weeks myself. I'll have to drive an hour each way (90 miles round trip), but I'm hoping to get close to a cord on each trip. I plan on loading what I can in the back my Dodge (2500 diesel) and then do the same on my 6'x12' landscaping trailer. Unfortunately, my trailer is only a single axle so I'll be limited on how much I can throw on the trailer. I don't know what it will actually hold, but I routinely carry about 1400 pounds on it without any issues. The truck I know will carry a lot more than the 3/4 ton rating.

Funny story... I accidentally overloaded the truck on day when I needed stone. I went to the quarry and told the operator I wanted a full load. He looked at me strangely and then proceeded to overfill the bed of the truck with 1/2" & 3/4" processed. I threw the guy some money and headed down the road. The truck handled the load pretty well, but it didn't like the corners all the much. 20 miles later I got home and looked at the ticket... he gave me well over 3 tons of stone (I think it was 3.6 if I recall correctly)!!! OOOOoooppppppps. The next time I needed more stone I decided to play it safe and told him I only wanted 2 tons... LOL. Both times were a prime examples of stupidity. :)

So anyway, yeah I'd drive more than 20 miles for good wood!
  14. Rockey

Rockey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I definitely think it is worth driving that far for wood. As others have mentioned a trailer makes it more worthwhile but not necessary. I find myself driving about 20 and at times 30 miles to pick up loads I find on craigslist.
  15. Rick1

Rick1 New Member

Loc:
    East Central MN
    I drove many trips the last 3 weekends for Oak that was 35 miles one way, it was worth it for me!
  16. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Only you can decide if it's worth it.

I personally wouldn't bother driving that far for 1/2 cord at a time, but I live in a target rich environment. I'd drive 20 miles for a full cord.
  17. vwboomer

vwboomer New Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I certainly would. I don't have my own supply of free wood so even if I had to pay some, I'd drive. Depending on the weight, I can put better than a cord in my trailer so it's worth it. With a pickup bed only? probably not.
  18. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    My last haul was about 14 miles door to door, green (but bucked) pine and eucalyptus. My Ranger has a cross-bed tool box, so it holds a little less than your S-10. Even so, I know it was overloaded. The wood was very fresh cut and heavy, and I had quite a few 10 to 14" rounds in there. I drove slow and easy on surface streets and always left plent of room to stop. I have an old truck-bed trailer, but the house where the wood was is on a steep hillside street, with a steep driveway, so the trailer was out of the question. If I had to stay within 5 miles of my house, I wouldn't get very much wood. OTOH, I generally won't p/u a heavy load of wood if I have to take a freeway back - there has to be surface route, otherwise, no go.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.