Do you tip your wood source? Side note also.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I am lucky to have found a local farmer and part time mailman who has about 200 acres of woods with oak, hickory, ash, and many other hard woods.

I bought some wood off him and his college aged son who does most of the slitting with a monster maul. Pieces are bigger than normal, but the price is right by me. I get a full size pickup load stacked from back to end and as high as the side rails for $35. I drive about 12 miles to get the wood in my truck and help load it and unload by hand by myself. I got a whole load today of 2 year old seasoned oak that was kept in their barn the last 2 years.

I always ask the young man what I owe and he says oh, $30-35 is good. I gave him $40 today and have given him more in the past than what he asks. Its great to find a young man not afraid of hard work and to not try and mess one over on pricing.

The side note is, his mom and dad bought a farm from a ole timer that had 280 acres that connected to their original farm and the farm had a cemetery on it. I have never seen a farm with an ole time cemetery and the head stones dated back to 1860's.

The shocking part was how man kids or young people were buried there. At least 8-10 burial sites had head stones with ages of 1 year or less. Couldn't read all the head stones, but there were enough to get an idea of how things where back in the day.

Shipper

At $100 a cord for just felled 8 foot in the round, my wood guy tips himself. I'm guessing you fit a half cord in your truck so at $70 a cord for cut, split, seasoned hardwood I'd be tipping more than $10.

very nice price! 75.00 fair price in indiana wow wish you were closer I would take a few truck loads at that price!
buddy selling hickory to the bbq joint at 45.00 face cord

Shipper, sometimes a thoughtful gift at an unexpected time does wonders and is really appreciated. For instance, perhaps a large ham on a holiday. Perhaps some whiskey or beer if he is a drinker. Or how about showing up some summer day during haying season or something similar? Whatever, do show your appreciation and you will have a friend for many, many moons.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shipper, sometimes a thoughtful gift at an unexpected time does wonders and is really appreciated. For instance, perhaps a large ham on a holiday. Perhaps some whiskey or beer if he is a drinker. Or how about showing up some summer day during haying season or something similar? Whatever, do show your appreciation and you will have a friend for many, many moons.

I agree savage, its the unexpected gift/tip that gives the best impression and makes them feel good.

kinda related, i hate people who tip big and make it "in your face" like they are showing off or something... example we were in a resteraunt, and the next table over had a young couple, presumably on a date. when the waitess came back to get the bill and payment, the guy says "and the extra 20 is just for you". That is showing off and he isnt leaving a big tip to make the waitress happy, rather to impress the girl. I am a big fan of annonymas gifts... makes you feel good knowing you did it for the right reasons.

Shipper50 said:
I am lucky to have found a local farmer and part time mailman who has about 200 acres of woods with oak, hickory, ash, and many other hard woods.

I bought some wood off him and his college aged son who does most of the slitting with a monster maul. Pieces are bigger than normal, but the price is right by me. I get a full size pickup load stacked from back to end and as high as the side rails for $35. I drive about 12 miles to get the wood in my truck and help load it and unload by hand by myself. I got a whole load today of 2 year old seasoned oak that was kept in their barn the last 2 years.

I always ask the young man what I owe and he says oh, $30-35 is good. I gave him $40 today and have given him more in the past than what he asks. Its great to find a young man not afraid of hard work and to not try and mess one over on pricing.

The side note is, his mom and dad bought a farm from a ole timer that had 280 acres that connected to their original farm and the farm had a cemetery on it. I have never seen a farm with an ole time cemetery and the head stones dated back to 1860's.

The shocking part was how man kids or young people were buried there. At least 8-10 burial sites had head stones with ages of 1 year or less. Couldn't read all the head stones, but there were enough to get an idea of how things where back in the day.

Shipper

I wouldn't. I might ask him what kind of whiskey he drinks.

I give my wood source (farmer) a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced rum and his was quite happy with that. The previous year a bottle a nice bottle wine.

I pay nothing for my wood though and leave it stored on site out there as well. Maybe I should do more.

I am glad for the replies to my post, but I think I should add its not the farmer who cuts the wood and splits and stacks it. Its his son, the farmer lets his son do the pricing and get all the money to help pay for his college and young man stuff.

The boy as I will call him since I am old enough to almost be his grandfather works at a caterer on Saturday's when he is home from school and that is where he makes his real money.

I will ask his dad what the boy might need for personal use and go from there.

Thanks
Shipper

I think you are already doing the right thing. Throw him an extra $10 or 20 and be on your way. I'm sure he's glad to have it and quite appreciative. Trying to do more may make him feel like a charity case. He's obviously a young man who wants to make it on his own steam or he wouldn't be out there busting his donkey to make the money.

I agree, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, I feel is the right thing to do. I have a friend that heads up a crew for a large tree service and I also made friends with a guy that owns a tree trimming/landscaping company. They give me a call to see if I want any wood when they cut down a tree that I might be interested in. I have a bakery so I give them donuts in return. Often if they give me a lot of wood I'll give them more when they're in the area and stop by. It's somewhat of a cheap trade for me, and I really appreciate these guys because they give me a lot flexibility with my schedule/business. Also, I'll use them for services they do, like planting a new tree. I just got a 12' tall Kusa Dogwood for my wife, hauled up from Tennessee and planted for $80 and a coconut cream pie and some donuts.

andybaker

Shipper50 said:
I am glad for the replies to my post, but I think I should add its not the farmer who cuts the wood and splits and stacks it. Its his son, the farmer lets his son do the pricing and get all the money to help pay for his college and young man stuff.

The boy as I will call him since I am old enough to almost be his grandfather works at a caterer on Saturday's when he is home from school and that is where he makes his real money.

I will ask his dad what the boy might need for personal use and go from there.

Thanks
Shipper
its all good Iam sure he knows what to charge that is the way my dad tought me and Iam sure thats whats he doing!(the boy loves you) bring more money dad owens the farm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and every body makes money)you save and the boy saves! and dad watching hes son grow into a man!

I tip him all the time. Sometimes I fill his tractor with diesel fuel, sometimes I buy him lunch or whatever I can to repay him. Last night I bought him a case of beer. Almost all of my wood for this year has been supplied from him, for free. He sometimes brings it to me too. He has at least four cords set aside for me for next year already. When he found out how much I liked to burn Osage, he found some big ones and cut them down.

About that Cemetary.
I know a guy that bought a house that had an old overgrown Cemetary on the property. He is a metal worker, so he made a wrought iron fence around it with a large gate and cleaned it up. A guy knocked on his door one day and thanked him and told him how much he appreciated what he had done, because his mother was buried there. Some of the graves dated back to the civil war.

Woodford said:
About that Cemetery.
I know a guy that bought a house that had an old overgrown Cemetery on the property. He is a metal worker, so he made a wrought iron fence around it with a large gate and cleaned it up. A guy knocked on his door one day and thanked him and told him how much he appreciated what he had done, because his mother was buried there. Some of the graves dated back to the civil war.
The son told me he thought their might be someone from the civil war there. I will bring up the wrought iron fence to the farmer. I think it would add a bit of peace fullness to the site as it sits right out in the field where they farm.

Shipper

Shipper, you just might have found a great way to show your appreciation but building that fence and cleaning up the place. A fantastic job and you could also involve all of your family.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shipper, you just might have found a great way to show your appreciation but building that fence and cleaning up the place. A fantastic job and you could also involve all of your family.
Good idea, but the owners cleaned out the cemetery when they bought it, it was overgrown with walnut and other small trees. Now its just stumps flush to the ground level.

Not to let out my secret, but its me and my fiancee in my family and the dogs. Don't have any others. ;-)

Shipper

My wood 'source' is me, so I remind him what a handsome devil he is.

Shipper50 said:
Not to let out my secret, but its me and my fiancee in my family and the dogs. Don't have any others. ;-)

Shipper

You can count on your 'secret' being safe here. :lol:

I think a tip is appropriate in this instance. An extra $5 cash won't hurt you too much, and will be much appreciated by the kid. That's a good price too.

[........ and dad watching hes son grow into a man![/quote]

I know the feeling. That will warm one's soul more than any fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.