Do you use a thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed P

Apr 13, 2013
Wapwallopen, Pa
Hi everyone, I've been doing a lot of reading on here and I don't hear a lot of talk of using a thermostat with a pellet stove. What do you recommend, should I use a thermostat or just go with the probe. I just bought my P68 last month. I did a complete clean up on it, gave it a new paint job and can't wait to run it. I'm just trying to do my homework and get it set up the best way possible. It will be in a finished basement heating a little over 2000 sq ft with a gas hot air furnace as a back up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi there, Ed. I use a Lux 1500E programmable t-stat and it works out very nicely. The cost was nominal considering how much control I have over my stove. Really seems to save me on burning too many pellets when we're not around and it's nice to come down to the basement in the mornings to find it toasty thanks to the t-stat automatically ramping it up an hour before. I highly recommend a thermostat!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

I use a t-stat, but I don't own a Harman.

The only way to get a good even heat, is with a t-stat. IMHO

my furnace has a tstat

I use a tstat and everyone's been happier since. I don't have a Harman so there is no probe option for me. However, my tstat is in the hall adjacent to the stove room so it works to keep the bedrooms a little cooler, the living room a little warmer etc etc. I don't think a tstat is ever a BAD idea, but what do I know?

I have a Harman and I added a tstat. One big benefit was to add automatic night setback. Saves pellets. Don't believe anyone that tells you that setbacks do not save energy. They are not correct. There is however the comfort factor and how long it takes to get the space back up to temperature. THAT is a different story and is a function of many things (stove size, insulation, outside temperature, infiltration etc.)

Yes. Stat in signature. Not all stats can be used with pellet stoves.

I don't use a t-stat and rely entirely on the probe. I do dial the temp. setting on the stove back a bit before going to bed and also before leaving the house for the day. On weekends and when planning to spend most of the day at home, I'll turn it up as needed. I have a Harman P-61A by the way and run it in room temp/manual except in late winter early spring when the outside temps. are higher. Then I switch it to room temp/auto. I have yet to even try the stove temp. setting.

Reactions: Justin M
A pellet stove is essentially a small furnace. I would no longer run a pellet stove without a thermostat then I would a furnace. It makes a world of difference, especially when connected to a digital thermostat like the Lux units. It saves fuel by turning down the heat requirements when you are away at work or at night and has a weekend setting for that routine too. Sleeping in cool comfort and then waking up to a warmed up house is a delightful, affordable luxury with a basic digital thermostat. Place the thermostat correctly and set the temp swing if necessary to avoid short cycling.

No stat, Sparky(p61) takes care of everything.

True, but I just turn the stove up or down when needed. I thought about getting a t-stat. But I want one that can control from my phone when I'm away, and they are pricey.

Reactions: Justin M
My Vehicles have T-Stat's

Thanks everyone! Thermostat it is! I've read that it has to be used along with the probe or can you hook it up in place of the probe? Also, which thermostat do you recommend? and..... one other question.. For those of you who have the stove in the basement... is the tstat in the basement also?

I installed one half way through this year and it have been very nice.

Thanks everyone! Thermostat it is! I've read that it has to be used along with the probe or can you hook it up in place of the probe? Also, which thermostat do you recommend? and..... one other question.. For those of you who have the stove in the basement... is the tstat in the basement also?

This one works great:

http://www.skytechsystem.com/wireless.asp?pi=268

It's wireless, so you can try it out in different spots before you attach it to a wall. Has to be w/in 20' of the stove, though. My stove and T-stat are in the basement of my ranch, the upstairs heat hardly ever comes on. Plus, with a t-stat you don't have to mess around with all this "shoulder pellet" nonsense. Burn the good stuff all year. ;)

Plus, with a t-stat you don't have to mess around with all this "shoulder pellet" nonsense. Burn the good stuff all year. ;)

Hi everyone, I've been doing a lot of reading on here and I don't hear a lot of talk of using a thermostat with a pellet stove. What do you recommend, should I use a thermostat or just go with the probe. I just bought my P68 last month. I did a complete clean up on it, gave it a new paint job and can't wait to run it. I'm just trying to do my homework and get it set up the best way possible. It will be in a finished basement heating a little over 2000 sq ft with a gas hot air furnace as a back up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

This is the thread you need to read!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ive-to-harmans-suggested-method-as-wel.74677/

Reactions: Ed P

You can put the thermostat wherever you like. I have two thermostats, wired in parallel, one down stairs and one upstairs. Depending on where I am that's the one I use.

You can put the thermostat wherever you like. I have two thermostats, wired in parallel, one down stairs and one upstairs. Depending on where I am that's the one I use.

Good Idea!

I have a toggle switch in the house that turns the T-Stat on in the shed/workshop that fires the pellet stove so it will be warm when I go out there after breakfast. :)

I use a thermostat with my Quadra Fire. I opted for the fancy "Quadrafire" programmable thermostat, which was a rip off, and seems to me just like any other programmable thermostat with a "compressor protection" timeout. So when my stove isn't running for some reason, but the t-stat is calling for heat, I am locked out of manually settings taking effect for like 5 minutes. It is annoying. Also Quad pre-programs the swing temp threshold, and I'm pretty sure if you override it you void the warranty, since it "could" over-cycle the motors I guess...

Go with a basic, no-programable t-stat and you'll be happy.

I use a thermostat with my Quadra Fire. I opted for the fancy "Quadrafire" programmable thermostat, which was a rip off, and seems to me just like any other programmable thermostat with a "compressor protection" timeout. So when my stove isn't running for some reason, but the t-stat is calling for heat, I am locked out of manually settings taking effect for like 5 minutes. It is annoying. Also Quad pre-programs the swing temp threshold, and I'm pretty sure if you override it you void the warranty, since it "could" over-cycle the motors I guess...

Go with a basic, no-programable t-stat and you'll be happy.

A Lowe's Lux LTS1500u Digital programmable T-Stat has an adjustable swing setting which really works well on my Santa Fe. Also it has a nice DIP switch on the T-Stat circuit board for Total MANUAL operation which I really like!

Status
Not open for further replies.