Do You Use Your Saws Brake ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short ans: Yes.

Fun ans: Although I operated cross-cut saws and long table (sliding) saws at work as a teen, and remember all the contractors and carpenters come in in the morning to have me cut their wood for the day. Way too many of them were missing fingers and thumbs.

When you're young, it makes an impression you don't forget. (Back then one issue among T & CC saw operators was making sure you lowered the guard.

You think of all those finger stumps and other scars they had, and you set the guard when you're ready to cut.).

It's the unpredictables/unpredictabilites that get you. So anything that makes it even .01% safer is worth it. For pros it's even more so.

If I do the math, 1 percent is one in a 100 cuts.
0.1% is one in a thousand cuts
0.01% is one in 10,000, and
0.001% is one in a hundred thousand. I bet pros do thousands of cuts. And the fatalities statistics are not in tree guys' favor.

That's also one reason why
< the nosey furry guy on the left stays indoors while I cut. (All it takes is one wayward cat, a rodent and u got yerself a sitch-a-ay-shun.) He has no control around pussycats, female dogs and rodents that meet basic chasability criteria (moving critter).

I consider myself new to chainsaws—since they are much more "mobile" , so I'm doing it by the book as much as I can remember the book. The brake is becoming habit. Heck, I even quickly test it to make sure it actually works the way it says in the manual.

I've had my share of trips and falls using various extreme sports equipment, have seen friends do the same, and have learned just how dangerous things can get.

It's just too easy to screw up with things that involve high torque and high tension.

A trip/fall over an some kind of unexpected thingamobstacle, and things can change quickly. Like they say, make sure you have a clear path and a clear escape route too. Another poster had a great post about how he set up everything from his car keys and cell phone to pickup truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.