do your guys tubes glow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
I had my 2nd load in for the night last night and the tubes were blowing fire out for about 40 min or so so i took a look up at them because it was looking pretty cool from the recliner and I noticed they were glowing red. 1st year burner here so I dont know if thats ok or what. I looked at them this am and they didnt look deformed at all. Draft control was on low and she was pumping some great heat with just the 4 splits in it packed tight. Opinions?

Do you have any temps for the stove top and the flue ?

Shawn

At the least the furthest back tube on my Regency I2400 glows dull red with every load for several minutes after closing the air. Often I'll have the back 3 glowing for 15-30 mins. Likely depends on the stove, how dry the wood is as well as burning practices.

Yes they will, especially on a full load. Sounds like you have good wood & are running it correctly.

midwestcoast said:
At the least the furthest back tube on my Regency I2400 glows dull red with every load for several minutes after closing the air. Often I'll have the back 3 glowing for 15-30 mins. Likely depends on the stove, how dry the wood is as well as burning practices.

Makes sense to me that if you need 1100ºF ignition temps to ignite the secondaries, something has to be glowing in there. Dull red would seem fine, but if you need sunglasses to look in your stove, I don't think even stainless would like that for long.

i have no temp monitoring equipment its a zero clearance surrounded by thinstone. flue is 7" selkirk all the way up through the roof. Why exactly do the tubes blow out fire anyways I dont understand the technology thanks DH

The tubes are not blowing out fire, though it can look like that. They are feeding secondary air into the hot, unburnt wood gases. This stirs them up and reignites them giving you the light show at the top of the burn chamber.

Mine glow on the retrofit project I performed on my old Bullard stove. I have to open the solid cast iron doors to look inside, but have seen them glowing many times.

great info thanks guys

yes indeed, the stainless tubes in the oslo glow when she's crankin.

been glowin' for 4 winters now with no ill effects that I can see :)

In my Rockland the edge of the baffle starts to glow when the stovetop hits in the low 900's, the tubes themselves seem to take a little more, havent seen them glow until stovetop was around 1,000 and no I did not mean for it to get that hot! With good dry hardwood this thing takes off like a rocket sometimes.

Hmmm . . . do my "guys tubes glow" . . . a bit of a personal question to ask, but hey . . . I'm all about answering truthfully and honestly for any question.

I can honestly say my guy tubes have never glowed . . . not that I've noticed anyway . . . I guess I would be a little worried if my guy tubes were glowing to be quite frank. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.