does 11 year old kaowool blanket need to be replaced?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ydelamater

Dec 5, 2009
New Mexico
How can we tell when it's time to replace the 11 year old kaowool blanket on our Quadra Fire 3100 woodburning stove? It has looked very shaggy ever since its last chimney cleaning (see photos below, including one taken before 9-2008 chimney cleaning). We don't want the blanket's fiberglass/ceramic fibers to deteriorate and become airborne when we open the stove door to tend the fire. I tried to find the answer online but couldn't.

Thanks!!

Yvonne

Attachments

• 9-2008.jpg
    9-2008.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 12-2009-2.jpg
    12-2009-2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 12-2009-1.jpg
    12-2009-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 390
If it is still intact I would say no.
I knew it was time to replace mine when it fell apart while taking it out to clean the chimney.
I am not sure that time is the measurement of when to replace, rather condition of it. I replaced mine at 11 years but as I stated it fell to pieces in my hand.

It seems a lot thicker than mine, is it bunched up in the front there ?

No, it doesn't need to be replaced.. You could if it is getting too messy for your liking.

Thank you for your replies!

I can't vouch for if it's bunched up in front or not. It's always looked thick.

The photo on the right side with the nearly pristine kao blanket is from a year ago before the chimney was cleaned. The two on the left are from this morning. It puzzles me how it could change so radically in one year when in ten it hardly changed at all.

The chimney sweep last year had a time of it because he'd never cleaned a Quadra Fire. He didn't want to remove the pipes so instead he took off the baffle and blanket but didn't know how to do it. I had to read him the directions from the manual. I think the kao blanket got switched around when he put it back, i.e., with a different face forward.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.