Does 15+25/2=20? (Moisture Content)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartwood

Sep 30, 2007
N Central PA
If I load my stove with a mix of oak splits at 15% moisture and oak splits of 25% moisture, do the experts out there consider that this averages out to the same as burning wood of overall 20% moisture content?

Ummm, not really. I imagine it would work BETTER than burning a full load of 25% moisture, but I still don't think its equivalent to 20%. Might be close in performance though, since these are low moisture levels.

I suspect that algorithm wouldn't work well as moisture content climbs, but I don't truly know. Best thing to do would be to have all wood at 15%, but I know that's tough, I'm in the same boat you are. I think you'll get reasonable results using that mix. You could always start the layered load with some SUPER dry kindling, then the 15% and then the 25%. That's basically what I've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.