"Does 600 year old White Oak burn good" (New York City Queens) Just kidding!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
A recent storm caused a limb to fall on this home from this tree that I thought was 400 years old. Experts believe it to be more like 600. It was the pride of our neighborhood! We are all very sad about its demise! I do believe that the family that were host to this tree were good Shepard's. Thank god no one was hurt when the limb came down! Some say it was the oldest tree in NY state! At some point the tree was filled with cement that you can see in the photo. The column of cement was 3 ft. thick and about 10 high. Anyway It was a huge fire wood score. The tree guy had to split on the scene due to its size. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKQvk1Mxrfs

Just saw the story in the NY Times myself. What a shame, but 600 years is a long, long time. I guess it's going to go down fighting with that cement core.

wow-

I'm rooting (spelling uncertain) for the tree, regardless of its core or demise.

Burn it only with pride and sayings, in whatever heritage you observe, of gratitude.

A very ancient forebear of mine, some great- to- the n'th power great grand-mother or aunt, owned a dairy farm in some part of lower Manhattan back when the primary language was still Dutch. Yeah, way, way, back. Though my old friends of American Indian heritage (who apparently are not that keen on "native" as a label) would probably gently (and validly) dispute the definition of what really is "way, way." My wacky (but highly intelligent) Nun aunt documented the lineage in excruciating and very certain detail, including visits to vaults in Europe.

600 years is a pretty old tree, especially here on the east side of the Mississippi. Theres a stand of Hemlocks in VT that might be about that old. ONe of the oldest trees I've seen recently was a ~120 ft tall white pine thats thicker than 2 men holding hands can wrap around. I couldn't guess the age but its a big tree. You can see it at the Polar Caves, sorry don't remember what town thats in.

About the cement......was that to prevent the tree from rotting or something? I never heard of filling a tree with cement.

pybyr said:
wow-

I'm rooting (spelling uncertain) for the tree, regardless of its core or demise.

Burn it only with pride and sayings, in whatever heritage you observe, of gratitude.

A very ancient forebear of mine, some great- to- the n'th power great grand-mother or aunt, owned a dairy farm in some part of lower Manhattan back when the primary language was still Dutch. Yeah, way, way, back. Though my old friends of American Indian heritage (who apparently are not that keen on "native" as a label) would probably gently (and validly) dispute the definition of what really is "way, way." My wacky (but highly intelligent) Nun aunt documented the lineage in excruciating and very certain detail, including visits to vaults in Europe.

This tree was on former property of the Van Wyke family! Now there is a highway in there name.

Delta-T said:
600 years is a pretty old tree, especially here on the east side of the Mississippi. Theres a stand of Hemlocks in VT that might be about that old. ONe of the oldest trees I've seen recently was a ~120 ft tall white pine thats thicker than 2 men holding hands can wrap around. I couldn't guess the age but its a big tree. You can see it at the Polar Caves, sorry don't remember what town thats in.

About the cement......was that to prevent the tree from rotting or something? I never heard of filling a tree with cement.

Yeap but that is the worst thing you can due! Its better to leave the hole so it can breath! Otherwise the tree will rot!

allhandsworking said:
olpotosi said:
right nice looking old fellow....too bad about the concrete center...that's gonna dull a chain quickly.

Here it is...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...bbK99hMvnny5l4yJ0_shZw&cbp=12,19.56,,0,-21.57

Enjoy!

Wow nice job with the google. I wish I took some photos when she was still standing!
Southern WI hey how did you know to look in Douglaston? You are far away from this part of town! I bet many people are scratching there heads! "Is that New York City"!

Southern WI hey how did you know to look in Douglaston? You are far away from this part of town! I bet many people are scratching there heads! “Is that New York City”!

I googled the "600 year old white oak" and got a New York Daily News hit then read the article and got the street and cross streets from there...got lost on the Isle of Long for awhile... but then I reread the article and it mentioned Douglaston...so there I went.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._600yearold_white_oak_uprooted_in_queens.html

Great fun that Google. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.