Does a "Cut-Off" Saw or "Chop" Saw Exist for Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
I have a lot smaller wood (2"-4" diameter) that I'd like to cut to 18" lengths for smaller fires and to fill in between larger splits. I don't have any way to hold it to use my chain saw and don't like risking the chain going into the dirt. I'd like to buy a cheap miter saw or chop saw that I could use standing up, to cut this wood to uniform lengths.

Has anyone solved this problem? I tried to find a wood blade for a chop saw, but didn't find anything.

Chop saw with a cross cut blade works fine.

Band saw works great. Much less risk of kickback or grabbing than circular blade on miter saw or skilsaw. Mine gets used for everything from crosscutting small blocks or rounds to short lengths for the smoker to resawing boards,timbers,blocks & beams up to 12 1/2" thick. Plus the table on most is 3ft or more from the floor,less bending over means easier on the back.

Thistle said:
Band saw works great. Much less risk of kickback or grabbing than circular blade on miter saw or skilsaw. Mine gets used for everything from crosscutting small blocks or rounds to short lengths for the smoker to resawing boards,timbers,blocks & beams up to 12 1/2" thick. Plus the table on most is 3ft or more from the floor,less bending over means easier on the back.

Yes, but my band saw is in Richmond and my woodstove is at my cabin 3 hours away. That's why I'm trying to find a cheap alternative, but thanks for the suggestion.

smokinjay said:

What size chop saw do you use? The one I saw had a 14" blade and I didn't see any cross cut blades that size.

DanCorcoran said:
smokinjay said:

What size chop saw do you use? The one I saw had a 14" blade and I didn't see any cross cut blades that size.

Get a 12" one then.Just make sure it has a 1" arbor hole that matches the shaft of 12" miter saws & 14" metal cutting chop saws.

Many call Miter Saws for wood Chop Saws also,when originally that term was for the metal cutting one that uses abrasive blades.

DanCorcoran said:
smokinjay said:

Thats what should be on it......

DanCorcoran said:
smokinjay said:

I believe all chop saw blades are cross cut. They are not a saw used for ripping. There are some fine blades for special materials
but most are work horse construction saws, cross cutting ( some mitering) 2 X4s to 2 X12s. & sometimes 4X6 - 8 headers.

Not my photos and I'm still trying to find the original discussion to give the guy credit, but here's a solution for using a chainsaw for making shorter logs for the stove. Maybe you can modify this for your needs:

02LogStrap.jpg

01Logstrap.jpg

TreePointer said:
Not my photos and I'm still trying to find the original discussion to give the guy credit, but here's a solution for using a chainsaw for making shorter logs for the stove. Maybe you can modify this for your needs:

02LogStrap.jpg

01Logstrap.jpg

That will get it done in a hurry!

I use this.
0526101316.jpg

based mine (loosely) off of Zaps design. I'm sure he'll be by to post a pic of his.

I had some scraps lying around and just threw them together (without measuring, and it shows)

index.php

Here is the way to go, I have been asked about this several times. Make an H style sawbuck and you will not believe how many branches you can do in short order. If you space the Hs so your ideal split length is in the middle you are set.

Attachments

• sawbuck3.jpg
    sawbuck3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • sawbuck4.jpg
    sawbuck4.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,405
  • sawbuck2.jpg
    sawbuck2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,385
Do you have a hydraulic or electric splitter? If so, put the log in perpendicular to the wedge, bring the wedge up to hold the log and chop away. Works great.

Reactions: Wickets
blel said:
Do you have a hydraulic or electric splitter? If so, put the log in perpendicular to the wedge, bring the wedge up to hold the log and chop away. Works great.

Fiskars...

Sorry, doesn't work too well with a Fiskars. It's tough to balance the log on the edge of the axe while cutting with a chainsaw.

I use my DeWalt 12" miter saw for cutting down my wood for grilling/smoking. It handles up to 4" pretty good. I just have the blade on it that came with it.

I use my hand saw for small wood like that :)

Since my stove accepts small splits (.75 cu ft firebox), it's no problem to do much of the buzzing with a cheapie HF portable tablesaw, clamped down to a folding workbench. Very quick, and very little wood ends up as chips/dust.

Just saw a 10" Skil miter saw at Lowe's. Reduced from $109 to $89. I think that'll work for me...10" blades aren't too expensive. I haven't seen a 12" or 14" chop saw for that price, plus the large blades are much more expensive. If anyone has seen a better deal, please let me know before I go with the Skil.

generic brand 10" miter was like 28 bucks at my Farm and Home last father's day. If that's what you are gonna use, at least get a couple and have some help, cause that seems like the slow way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.