Does a horizontal vent.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
............ versus the recommended verticle venting method have a noticeable/significant effect on the burn , the flame ,or the stove heat output?
Obviously a verticle vent installed with a cleanout T plus another elbow above (all within EVL) would have to create some restriction in the exhaust compared to a straight out vent . I wonder how they vent them when testing.

I don't think it's as much an issue of it affecting the burn, as much as it is the problem of smoke back in the house when/if the power goes out. Lot's of people have horizontal installs, and have no problems.

I`d have to think the back pressure (resistance) created by a verticle run would have a (positive) delaying effect , although rather minimum, on the exhaust exiting the vent compared to a straight pipe out the wall.

When I swapped out my month old 6500 with another one, I ran straight out the back and put the hood/cover on the end of the pipe as opposed to going out and up and I have noticed an increase in temps by 10 °F burning the same pellet from the same batch but a different stove and I haven't changed any of the settings that it came with preset from the factory.

However on the same setting as the 1st original stove it didn't seem to eat as many pellets on setting #3 as this unit does now, so maybe this one has a different lb/per hour setting than the 1st unit had I don't know but it does throw more heat on the #3 setting and all I did different was shoot the pipe straight out of the building cause I didn't like the amount of soot I found in the pipe after only a month of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.