Does a Short, Free-Standing, Side or Front Loading Pellet Stove Exist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anorangeman

Sep 15, 2023
New York
I have an open-type fireplace that where I'd like to put a free standing pellet stove and flue liner to exhaust straight up the existing chimney.

The vertical opening is only 30 inches and the shortest pellet stove I've been able to find is about 30 inches in height. This would obviously be a problem as I also cannot find one where the controls and loading chute are not top-mounted, regardless of height.

Perhaps I'm stuck looking for an insert-type pellet stove (which I do not prefer)? Or does anyone have any other specific ideas, thoughts, or recommendations?
IMG_E8297.JPG

I have an open-type fireplace that where I'd like to put a free standing pellet stove and flue liner to exhaust straight up the existing chimney.

The vertical opening is only 30 inches and the shortest pellet stove I've been able to find is about 30 inches in height. This would obviously be a problem as I also cannot find one where the controls and loading chute are not top-mounted, regardless of height.

Perhaps I'm stuck looking for an insert-type pellet stove (which I do not prefer)? Or does anyone have any other specific ideas, thoughts, or recommendations?
View attachment 315411
Looks like width and depth are fine. Is there any way to remove the top?

The quadrafire pellet inserts are very similar to their stoves. What do you not want an insert?

View attachment 315411
After further review I suppose an insert would be the best way to go, but none have trim kits that extend the 51" width, so I'm thinking of building my own trim out of a stainless steel sheet.

Any thoughts on whether the side opening to the fireplace would cause any issues? I can block it off with something if need be.

You can always block off the side. Custom made surrounds are a thing and can be as simple or as complex as you wish as long as they are non combustible.