Does a zero clearance high efficiency fire place require a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theshoeshiner

Oct 29, 2019
NC
I'm considering installing a high efficiency fireplace into my new home. I like the idea of the ambiance of a fireplace with the efficiency of a wood stove. I know that the fireplace will most certainly heat better with a blower to circulate the air. However in the event of a power outage, is it safe to operate it without one? It looks like the blowers are usually optional, which implies that it's perfectly safe, but I want to get people's opinions.

Yes, many are safe burning with the blower off, especially when set up for natural convection. Check the manual of prospective fireplaces to see if there are any restrictions on burning 24/7 or burning without the blower.

Reactions: theshoeshiner