Does any one know if I can tow a Huskee 22 ton splitter on the highway at full speed? Are they just

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive pulled mine 55 short distances but long distance its on the trailer. Take ur tailgate of so u can keep an eye on it. I cant see mine with the tailgate on.

The reason I have the splitter I do now is because someone flipped it driving about 45. Needed a few new parts and a few welds and good as new. Been using it for 6 years I think. I just let my buddy who lives 4 miles away on a winding road borrow it. He was pissed because i would not let him tow it. He had to wait until Saturday when I could put it in the trailer.

I saw someone with a front wheel on theirs just last week. I have to do that too. I am going to see if I can get something a bit more all terrain though...

Here's a pic of mine, with wheel. First thing I did, since the splitter likes to move when going from horizontal to vertical and it's easier to put on/off the ball of my truck/tractor.

S

Attachments

• DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 322
thinkxingu,

You must use an awful lot of toothbrushes, keeping your equipment and storage area that clean!

I mounted a 3 ft removable orange stick on mine for when I take it out driving. I like to know it's upright and where it is at all times...

They bounce a great deal over 25 -30 MPH. Put it in your truck bed and carry it home.

wood-fan-atic said:
I want to buy one this week , but the closest TSC is upstate (about 1 1/2 hrs away ). I told the girl on the phone that I'd put it in the bed of my truck ( '01 Ranger,Ive fit a 27 ton MTD in there), but she said most people just hook it up to a ball hitch. Is it rated for highway speeds? Thanks for your help,guys. ;-)

Are you headed for the TSC in New Milford, CT? Very friendly and helpful folks there.

Close. Patterson ,NY.

Oh man, you guys are scaring me now. When we bought our 35 ton Huskee I pulled it at 70 mph for 110 miles behind a 3/4 ton pickup so I could not even see it back there. :ahhh:
But it made it home without any problems.

You have pretty flat roads out there in Kansas and just a tad less traffic than Long Island ;-P

zzr7ky said:
Dennis - I though about a nose wheel for my 27 ton. After a while I noticed an opening under the beam that will accept a 5" diameter, 8' long stick. I loop the saftey chains over the top and it's pretty easy to move the splitter around. The ground I'm going over is soft and bumpy so I would have a hard time with a normal 6" trailer nose wheel set-up.

ATB,
Mike P

Thanks for the tip Mike but I think the tongues are a bit different. I will check though! My old splitter has a longer tongue and a wider axle than the newer ones.

Put it in the truck. You can't tow a trailer on The Hutch anyway.

Good call,neighbor.

I regularly tow short distances around 40mph. To help reduce bouncing I lowered the tire pressure from 30 to 20-25psi, it does help. Also check to make sure the castle nuts are snug - not tight, but snug. Mine were much too loose along with many other nuts/bolts. Go over the whole thing with a wrench when you first get it and again after a few tanks of fuel.

I had TSC use their forklift to drop it in my trailer rather than tow a long distance at highway speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.