Does anybody else do this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer was to correct him that the AE doesn't have an agitator! I just didn't include AE-Too lazy to type it.

I owned a quad for 9 seasons too! ;) Dex a little wound up tonight? :p

Bet you didn't know my old quad(nova 800) or the 1000 didn't have an ash dump with the original ceramic pot. It was an upgrade later on in its life. Ash dump came out with the cast pot upgrade. A lil Quad history lesson for the young chap. :p

I knew that "You Knew".... Just wanting to get the OP to understand that his stove is not burning correctly.

You are the Master of all Burners, the Holder of all Pellets, and the Tester of all of the hottest pellets.

To have a Pot full of pellets on any "New" stove? Its unacceptable. IMO

Reactions: jtakeman
Always low or 2 I never go to 3 or quad as it will overfire then I have to take the side off and reset snap disc.Even when temps hit 13 I will never go beyond 1 or 2 if I hit 3
it will work for a while but with the intense heat it will shutdown and stop feeding pellets then the snap disc have to be reset.But on setting 2 it is adequate to heat the house 3 and 4 scares me as the flame gets to big.

I knew that "You Knew".... Just wanting to get the OP to understand that his stove is not burning correctly.

You are the Master of all Burners, the Holder of all Pellets, and the Tester of all of the hottest pellets.

To have a Pot full of pellets on any "New" stove? Its unacceptable. IMO

Mis-understood. Me though you were correcting me. ;em I do have CRS like the rest of the old couts around here! ==c

No master in anyway shape or form Still learning brother-This old cout is still learning. Some of these new fangled contraptions you'll have to teach me someday! And I don't no nothin about them there pellets, Says so right in my sig! Aren't they all the same? ==c

While I still agree there is a problem, maybe close your feed gate down and see if you get a more complete burn.

Is your flame as big as mine in the video above? How about how "Active" or "Lively"?

s your feed gate set to the Manufacturers recommendations?

That unit should be able to burn on High or Quad setting. An airflow issue will cause a lazy flame with Higher temps.

Also, when.was.the last time you removed the convection blower and cleaned the squirrel cage? If the stove cant extract the heat? It will shut down?

Again. RTFM... Please Read the Manual. If your to afraid to clean it? Then hire someone. Its well past its time. IMHO. Your delving into a dangerous category.

Alright dad will do

Don't take my advice. My stove burns properly.

Why Wouldn't you follow the Manufacturers recommendations?? There full of bologna.

Keep coming home to a Full pot of pellets (that should NEVER HAPPEN) and hope you don't have a Hopper fire.

(Coming from someone who has had a Fire in there Home. Long before I had a Pellet stove and was my own ignorance. Its Scary)

With that said. Im out. Im not your Dad. Prob young enough to be your Son.

Was just trying to help (and let you know there is a Problem with your stove/vent/gasket). Later

I appreciate your advise makes sense I was kidding about dad as that what he would have said.Thanks for your input

Maybe you need to see how a Quad should burn ?? Here is my Classic Bay on Medium (a smaller stove than yours).

Even the smaller Castiles and Santa Fe's have a vigorous flame. Thats why Quads Slogan is "Nothing burns like a Quad"!!

Every catch your self watching a video of a a pellet stove in Ohio, and think "sweet flame!"

Then ask yourself "wtf ?!?! Am I doing!"

I used to turn mine down and quickly open the door and swish the burnpot. Don't need to anymore. The agitator does the pot tending for me.

Good tip to extend the run when its cold and can't afford a shutdown/cooldown for some! ;)

how often does the agitator on your stove cycle?

I will never go beyond 1 or 2 if I hit 3
it will work for a while but with the intense heat it will shutdown and stop feeding pellets then the snap disc have to be reset.But on setting 2 it is adequate to heat the house 3 and 4 scares me as the flame gets to big.
Without a good cleaning, the ash will continue to accumulate and the flame will get that way on setting 2... and eventually on setting 1.

Alright dad will do
Do you have the owner's manual for your stove? If not, it's available on QuadraFire's web site. It should describe how to clean the heat exchangers, the exhaust path, and the venting. If you have any specific questions, just ask!

With the OLD Whitfield running on shells, its a daily routine to "clear the pot"

I just turn the feed off and allow the flames to burn down to coals, then open the door and use a putty knife to quickly clear the clinkers, leaving a scattering of coals, then turn the feed back on, zooop, all good for another go round.

This is a daily or bi-daily routine during 24/7 operation.

The LITTLE Whit is about the same procedure, slightly defferent due to it's operational control layout.

Just have to tweek with these critters to keep things on an even keel.

Snowy

I love our Santa Fe, it burns very cleanly, we are using Doug Fir pellets. We turn the stove off at night most of the time, I turn it to full blast until it is cooking, then put the thermo on 60 degrees, the burn pot is clean on the next fire up. I do a pretty through clean up once a week and often wonder if every two weeks would be fine.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.