Does anybody have experience with a 82 model blaze king FF-402?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maggard

Nov 17, 2009
arkansas
I am new here and posted a few days ago. I got this insert for free practically. It is in excellent shape. I built my fireplace from the ground up several years ago.. Burnt with the fireplace only. Uses alot of wood so I found this insert for a good deal. I am a brick mason and work is a little slow right now with the economy and all. I have got the stove slid in as a slammer, I did some research on the site and know all of the problems I can have with it installed this way. I have burnt for a few days all ready when It was 30's outside and it worked great , no smoke in house when I was getting it lit off and it draws great. I know it will produce some cresote. I will keep the chimney clean. I no it is an outdated insert, non-epa, but I like the stove and it puts off a ton of heat . There are no rules and regulations where I live. My question is when I get some extra $ I am thinking about putting a liner to it. But where the exhaust comes out of the insert instead of being a round collar there is a rectangle slot about 4" x 20" with a flap almost the size of the slot for a dampner. I am sure that I can fabricate something with my welder to adapt it to a 6" or 8" flue collar. Would an 6" or 8" liner be better for this insert. I no I will probably get fllamed for wanting to use such an old insert, but as long as it heats the house It will do the same job as a new one. I Know it will plug the chimney alot quicker without the liner. Anybody still using a dinosaur like this one. Before I found this website I thought that slammers were fine to just slide in and go. Now I know better, but I heat with wood, and not rich so I will have to get by this year , i will keep a close eye on it and will probably slide it out a couple times this year and sweep the chimney. Has anybody ever connected a liner to an old stove like this one with the large slot on back.? Or should I get by this season and try to find a newer epa stove. Thanks chad
Pics of ins
100_0263.jpg

100_0259.jpg
ert.

I connected a liner to my old large insert and it worked great. Too great because the firebox had an undetected crack that let the stove runaway with the new strong draft. But that wasn't the liner's fault. In other words, yep a liner should make a world of difference and you could then clean the chimney without beating yourself and that beautiful hearth to death dragging the insert out and putting it back in all the time. And you will get better and cleaner burns along with the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.