Does anybody use an indirect water heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not losing the heat when it flows into another tank. That's how indirect tanks work in the first place, by moving heat through a heat exchanger. 70-90% of the standby losses come from a.) the boiler and near boiler piping. b.) When someone turns on the hot water and re-heats the piping to the emitter, generating a loss as that water returns to ambient temp. My indirect loses about 1/2 degree per hour, which comes out to about 170 btu/hr, which is squat. My boiler loses about 500-700 btu/hr, and that's considered really, really good for a high mass system. It still cuts down my system efficiency from around 90% to a more sobering 60-70%, so for the Summer months a tankless would win-if I had nat gas. For the 4 months/year when my outdoor temp is above my ambient temp this is a waste, otherwise it goes into heating my house and I'm figuring about 80% for hot water.

Tankless heaters are better than a standard, open flue gas water heater but I have my doubts about their longevity and real efficiency, especially in hard water areas.

Is solar a possibility for supplementing your setup?

I'm going to try a drain water heat recovery first. If that plus my constant bitching about the hot water can drop the overall usage to 100 gallons/day, I'll be in the market for a solar setup. I'm already looking for the tank. I I can score a large 80 gallon + dual coil indirect, or a 100 gallon single coil I'm going to take it and figure out what to do with it later. I'd favor a single large tank with dual coils simply because I don't have the room, but its looking more and more I'm going to use a single coil tank connected to solar as a pre-heater to the main tank that will remain connected to the boiler. The problem I see with this would be the necessity of the boiler still firing unless the solar tank was in the 140f and up range. I'm thinking of digging a hole/box against my basement, placing the tank there and insulating with foam board to keep out moisture. I really don't have any room where my boiler is now. Right now hot water cost me about $2.50/day, so its a hard sell to the right side of my brain when the proper solar setup would run me $7,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.