1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does anybody use space heaters to compliment the wood stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by JA600L, Jan 25, 2014.

1. JA600L

JA600L Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    My stove is on the other corner of the house from my bedroom and the garage is below the bedroom. Try as i might, I just can't seem to get that bedroom warm enough. So I bought a 1500 watt space heater and put it in it and all of my problems went away. I'm just curious if others find themselves having to do this too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Yep.
  3. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Most wood burners would never admit it..lol.
    Lumber-Jack likes this.
  4. JA600L

JA600L Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Well I just figured you can keep beating your head against the wall or just solve the problem .. lol..
  5. AppalachianStan

AppalachianStan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clover SC
    Yep. I have two infrared heaters. One in the living room and one in the bed room. The wood stove is my only source of heat.
  6. JA600L

JA600L Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    I assume a 1500 watt space heater uses less energy than a heat pump starting and running. I know its no where near as bad as paying for auxiliary heat.
  7. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Kennedyville, MD
    Absolutely. Our master bath is on the first floor on the far side of the house. It stays pretty chilly. I FINALLY talked the wife into getting a small space heater for it. It took all of 12 hours for her to ask "this is awsome,why didn't we do this years ago?" I simply replied you.....

Mostly, we turn it on in the am to take the edge off.
  8. dave_376

dave_376 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central Ct
    My bedroom is above the garage and it gets chilly in there. I have considered picking up a small kerosene heater for the really cold days like we have been having lately. Any one use kerosene?
  9. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I have an oil filled radiator that I move around and turn on as needed. It's been parked in the kitchen since November. Electric bill hasn't gone up too much.

I'll use it as needed. pay me now, or pay me later.
  10. AppalachianStan

AppalachianStan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clover SC
    No. Those small kerosene heater give me bad headaches.
  11. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    The best thing I did for the bedrooms in the winter is putting on heated mattress pads for all the beds in the house. I don't always need to use them but they are nice to have if it's too cold. Otherwise we are usually in the front of the house and don't need the back rooms muscle warmer than they are now. Also, a tighter house does better with hot and cold areas. They say if it's leaky they just don't keep up well.

Wattage for the King size pad is 110 each side but I have it on 1 or 2 out of 10 so it cycles on and off.
    becasunshine likes this.
  12. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    A neighbor who burns wood said that his bedroom Is in the basement and it gets down to 38 at times. Brr!
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yep, I have one in my office. The door is frequently closed so little heat from the stove makes it in.
  14. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    A few years ago, I'd recoil against the idea of using any resistance electric because of the cost. Now when you factor in the efficiency of fuels like propane and oil, electric (in my area anyway) is pretty close to the same cost. Am starting to think about installing some permanently in the bathrooms.

In fact, if this winter continues on it's same plane and there are additional fuel shortages and spikes in prices, when I run out of wood (which is coming in about a month, unless there's a very early spring), I may have to temporarily hook up the old 8' electric baseboard heaters that were left in the house when I moved in.
  15. 1kzwoman

1kzwoman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West near Yellowstone
    Yup if I get lazy..NG forced air furnace.
  16. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Bathroom, to warm it up before showers.. a little ceramic forced air heater works great. Those oil filled units kept on a low setting are great too.
  17. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    To heat up the cabin quick since it is usually in the upper 30's when I get here I start a fire, turn on a couple oil heaters and fire up the Mr. Heater.

[​IMG]
  18. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    We do. We have a blue flame in the bathroom, but haven't used it this year. Just don't want to have to refill the LP tanks any sooner than nessesary (2 100lb tanks plumbed in sequence, they also supply our tankless water heater and kitchen range),and running it will eat up more LP. We have a Vent Free fireplace in the diningroom, the tank for that ran out though already and we have yet to refill it. Also, we have used a 1500 watt in the bedroom, pretty much when it gets too windy, it gets cold in here.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  19. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    My wife does! :mad:
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Sure. My wife is an invalid and is in the bedroom farthest from the room downstairs where the stove is located. Without being active the temp in that room needs to stay more constant so their is an oil filled radiator in the room on a plugin thermostat. Never run about the 900 watt medium setting because those things on 1,500 watts settings are brutal on wall outlets.

Also since we have no other heat source there is one in each room in the house on plug in stats. Set at 65 in case I go to the mailbox someday and don't come back.
  21. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Right now it's 20F outside and snowing. Both stoves going at a leisurely pace, instead of the pounding they were getting from mid week on.

Amazing what 20 degrees can do for house temps.
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Yup . . . two.

One ironically enough is in the boiler room and is there to keep the boiler and domestic hot water pipes in that room above freezing.

The other that we use only on a very occasional basis is in the master bathroom which due to the layout of the house gets a bit cool.
    We also have an electric blanket for use in the master bedroom as it also gets a bit cool.
  23. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    These things should not be used on a regular basis IMHO. I have several for emergency use only but there is a lot of nasty emissions coming off these heaters. ELectric quartz radiant is my preference.
    osagebow likes this.
  24. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Kero and just bought a small electric today. Going to save kero for power outages, forgot how much I hate the stuff. I have water pipes in unfinished part of basement, were reading 35 on the IR last night.
  25. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I have an un
    Dont fall for the $300 "miracle" boxes. A $15 small electric from WM or Other BB store will heat the same space for the same electric cost. Or better yet a quartz radiant will "feel" warmer for less electric cost. I have one under my work desk (where i am typing this)that makes the whole steel desk and my feet toasty warm on 400 watts.
    CenterTree likes this.