Does anyone burning corn in their Multifueler add Chicken Scratch to compensate for the high starch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

From Page 15 in the multi-fuel US pellet stove Model 6039 Pellet Stove Manual
http://www.usstove.com/resources/OwnersManuals/English Owners Manuals/6039 Manual.pdf

FUEL ADDITIVE
Chicken Scratch for my Corn Burner?
Yes - Crazy as it may sound, ground Oyster Shells, (calcium carbonate) same as fed to chickens, is the ideal additive to
promote clean burning, especially when the Corn Fuel is extra high in starch. And it’s available at your local Feed and Seed.
The “average” mixture is 1/2 pound of Oyster Shells (about 2 handfuls) to 60 pound of Corn, a full hopper. IF the “fingers”
on your agitator (stirrer or rouser) have a noticeable buildup of “clinkers” or stubborn deposits, you have either a high starch
fuel OR are burning with too much air for proper combustion and are reaching the “fusion” temperature of the Potassium
and/or Starch in the Corn. You need Oyster Shells - and maybe more than a couple handfuls.
If you notice a heavy accumulation of “whitish powder” in your burn pot, reduce the amount of Oyster Shell Additive.
Remember, using this additive- as necessary - promotes efficiency (higher heat output), reduces maintenance, clinkers and
ash content.

If Corn was really cheap, then more would burn corn. I got some cheap bags recently and have been burning a mixture of sorts.

But a low M/C Corn can produce some Great BTU #'s. Get it below 8% M/C and watch out......

Never used the scratch. Had a buddy that did use Oyster shells.. But he now only burns pellets because of price.

Burn a bunch of corn here and I just mix some pellets in. Keeps the clinker softer and comes out easy.

burning corn with "chicken scratch" (oyster shells crushed to a coarse granular texture) is generally recommended when burning corn with moisture content at 14% or higher, usually about a half a cup to 3/4 cup per 50 lbs. this helps the stove burn the corn away better as you do not tend to clinker as bad and if you have a mixer it keeps that cleaner as well.

burning corn with "chicken scratch" (oyster shells crushed to a coarse granular texture) is generally recommended when burning corn with moisture content at 14% or higher, usually about a half a cup to 3/4 cup per 50 lbs. this helps the stove burn the corn away better as you do not tend to clinker as bad and if you have a mixer it keeps that cleaner as well.

Hi Mike
Did you see my PM? (Conversation on this board)

Status
Not open for further replies.