Does anyone buy this adapter for their Harman?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
I found out about this adapter, and wonder if using duravents regular stove adapter could leak a bit at the stoves outlet. When ever my harman would light up- specially when the firebox was really smoky inside, i would smell a faint smoke odor in the room. I used to look at those stove joints and ask myself what wasnt sealing? I think it came from the appliance adapter all along. But I dont plan on buying one of these adapters special, as I already use the standard one.

Attachments

• pvp_harman_adapter_web.pdf
    240.1 KB · Views: 908
I found out about this adapter, and wonder if using duravents regular stove adapter could leak a bit at the stoves outlet. When ever my harman would light up- specially when the firebox was really smoky inside, i would smell a faint smoke odor in the room. I used to look at those stove joints and ask myself what wasnt sealing? I think it came from the appliance adapter all along. But I dont plan on buying one of these adapters special, as I already use the standard one.
No because you can seal into any female end of Duravent Pellet pipe.

Hello Val

The adapter you found in that PDF is a stove adapter for the Duravent "Pellet Vent Pro" venting pipe. The Pellet Vent Pro pipe is a higher temperature pipe for Multi-Fuel stoves and does not fit the standard duravent pipe, so if you just burn wood pellets you do not need any of that. The stove adapter you have may just need better sealing or you can use high temp foil tape.

Hello Val

The adapter you found in that PDF is a stove adapter for the Duravent "Pellet Vent Pro" venting pipe. The Pellet Vent Pro pipe is a higher temperature pipe for Multi-Fuel stoves and does not fit the standard duravent pipe, so if you just burn wood pellets you do not need any of that. The stove adapter you have may just need better sealing or you can use high temp foil tape.
That adapter is specifically designed for Harman stoves. Re-read the link. The standard pellet vent pro adapter wants to go "Inside" the exhaust snout/port on the stove. Where this adapter has a larger O.D, to slide "Over" the snout/port of Harman stove....

That adapter is specifically designed for Harman stoves. Re-read the link. The standard pellet vent pro adapter wants to go "Inside" the exhaust snout/port on the stove. Where this adapter has a larger O.D, to slide "Over" the snout/port of Harman stove....

Yes it is designed for Harman but you must use Pellet Pro Vent not the standard Duravent. Correct?

I
Yes it is designed for Harman but you must use Pellet Pro Vent not the standard Duravent. Correct?

If you are "adding" at the end of a run (i.e.- If you wanted to add a 90° and 3' of vert) and put Pellet vent pro on the end of Standard Pellet vent, then it will work...

But you cant go from Pellet vent pro and then add standard pellet vent on the end of it..

So you are correct. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying it was the same adapter. Sorry Don.

I asked myself the same thing and taped the pipe and adapter on the 25-PDVC till the tape probably weighed more than the connector pipe. And still had the smell during the smokey part of start-up. Then Mike at ESW explained that it comes from the shaft on the combustion blower since a shaft seal does not seal completely so you get a little smoke smell leaking past it during start-up.

I

If you are "adding" at the end of a run (i.e.- If you wanted to add a 90° and 3' of vert) and put Pellet vent pro on the end of Standard Pellet vent, then it will work...

But you cant go from Pellet vent pro and then add standard pellet vent on the end of it..

So you are correct. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying it was the same adapter. Sorry Don.

Thanks Dexter

That is good to know that "pellet pro vent" can be added at the end.

I asked myself the same thing and taped the pipe and adapter on the 25-PDVC till the tape probably weighed more than the connector pipe. And still had the smell during the smokey part of start-up. Then Mike at ESW explained that it comes from the shaft on the combustion blower since a shaft seal does not seal completely so you get a little smoke smell leaking past it during start-up.

Hi Brother

Most of the newer exhaust blowers have a sealed shaft like the Fasco in my picture below.

Maybe it is time you got an updated exhaust blower?

Click on pic and see yellow arrow below:

Attachments

• ExhaustBlowerYA.jpg
    ExhaustBlowerYA.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 334
Hi Brother

Most of the newer exhaust blowers have a sealed shaft like the Fasco in my picture below.

Maybe it is time you got an updated exhaust blower?

Click on pic and see yellow arrow below:

Don, BrotherBart is talking about where the actual shaft for the blower (goes into stove and has impeller connected to end) goes through the plate that the motor is connected to..

The hole that the shaft goes through, is larger than the shaft. Yours isnt sealed either. They all need a gap so the shaft can pass through and have the impeller attached to the opposite side. Its a small hole on ALL blowers. His PDVC has the same blower and housing as the new stoves do (very little changed on those units over the years).

Don, BrotherBart is talking about where the actual shaft for the blower (goes into stove and has impeller connected to end) goes through the plate that the motor is connected to..

The hole that the shaft goes through, is larger than the shaft. Yours isnt sealed either. They all need a gap so the shaft can pass through and have the impeller attached to the opposite side. Its a small hole on ALL blowers. His PDVC has the same blower and housing as the new stoves do (very little changed on those units over the years).

Hi Dexter

Thanks for explaining, you mean where the yellow arrow in the pic below is pointing but it cannot be seen because it is under the fan blades?

If any smoke gets in there, then it will come out thru the venting slats in the motor casing and then out the back of the stove.

Actually if there is a good bushing around the shaft mounted to the hole in the motor housing, then I cannot see how very much smoke would go thru that? See red arrow in second pic below.

Attachments

• MeridianBlowerYA (9).jpg
    MeridianBlowerYA (9).jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 262
  • ExhaustMotorBushing.jpg
    ExhaustMotorBushing.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.