Does anyone else have a temp that...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stove rated to exactly the size I am trying to heat
I have three stoves rated for my size or larger. Heating this place still blows when I am at single digits for long periods of time.

Reactions: chazcarr
Bring on the 3 yr old oak if properly seasoned. You want max btus to see the full potential of the stove.

On second thought, the stove is doing fine. This is a distribution problem. A bigger stove is not going to solve that.

Agreed on both points.

I have a similar distribution problem, but I have no doubt that my insert could easily keep an open plan space above 70F down to 0F.
I'm happy to let my propane furnace run for a few minutes each hour when it's this cold (single digits overnight at the moment), it warms the bedrooms and distributes the stove heat too. I've been experimenting with various options and this year I've settled on closing the supply register in the stove room, and using a small fan in the hallway floor blowing air into the stove room for an hour or two before we go to bed.

TE

-30 again this morning, but inside temp was 74!! Temp has gone up 43 degrees today; its now +13, but windy. House is a modular of about 1600 sf. Not 1 gal of propane used in 3 years. I did reload the king twice in the last 24 hrs, which is not the normal cycle. I am building up a lot of coals/ash, so I can't fit quite as much wood in the box right now.

We have not yet determined at what temperature the stove won't keep up. However, the coldest we've had since putting this stove in was -12 but I'm confident we will be fine down to -20 but we may have to put wood in a bit more often then.

For some back-up heat, an Edenpure or a ceramic heater with a blower (like the Pelonis) should help a lot.

From 0 to minus 9 (the coldest weather we've seen with our country brand performer) we can manage to keep it above 70f in the house (1500 square foot) but that's tending to the stove like a fireman on a locomotive.

I had a Jotul F600 installed last year, so I am still Learning how to use it. I have a 1500 sq ft house (not counting the finished basement). The stove is in the basement. I`ve been playing around with fans to get the heat upstairs. When it is 0F outside, it is usually 80F downstairs, and 74F on the main floor.
I think for me, the magic number is -30F. When we get to that number, I have all the problems in the world keeping the main floor at 71F. Especially if it is windy outside. I`ve been putting money aside each year to renovate the house. I`ve changed the roof, Windows, doors, and siding. I still need to add insulation to the attic, and perhaps take some walls down and add insulation from the Inside.
Anyway, it`s a drafty house. The basement has been very well insulated though.
I need to get that heat upstairs. I`ve cut into the main floor to install a grate. I`m thinking about cutting another hole for a second grate.

Laurent in Québec pushing the polar vortex down to the States....lol!

I am in the same boat as you. My stove is slightly too small for my house and I live in CT also. I was burning cherry but now that is cold I swapped to shagback Hickory which has more BTU. My stove still can't keep up but it is better. I also am thinking about upgrading but burning a few gallons of oil to bring the house up 10 degrees is much better than using enough oil to heat the house up 70 degree (0F to 70F).

Above 15 degrees F my stove in the basement does a fine job heating both upstairs and downstairs (basement is always great no matter what ~80-85F, and upstairs around 70F). Start to drop below this and there is a significant loss of efficiency (add in wind and it drops even further). Today at -2F and -20F windchill the upstairs struggles to stay at 64, but the basement is still very comfortable. I can't say I am surprised by this though, but last year it never really got below 20 degrees...If this 0F and colder temperatures keep up in the coming years I am going to have to install an insert in the upstairs fireplace.

950 sq feet upstairs and 950 sq feet downstairs

25 to 30F outside temp is the limit for my stove and inside temp is only 64 or 65 but that is comfortable for me. During this extreme cold I have the gas furnace set to come on at 57 and it heats the house (1900 sf but 2 bedrooms closed off) up to about 60 in 5 or 6 minutes. All the stove is doing is trying to maintain that 60 degrees but it is a losing battle. Furnace comes on about once an hour when 10 degrees F or lower outside. Unfortunately, the Appalachian 52 Bay is heating my 1950's home only slightly better than than my previous Drolet insert even though I went from 1.8cf to 2.8cf firebox. I said this previously in another thread but I am really regretting my decision not to take delivery of the Progress Hybrid 2 years ago when I had introductory pricing. Hopefully, Woodstock will make a similar sized stove in the new steel line that will rear vent under my 27 inch lintel.

When the temps outside get near, or below 0*F we can still keep the Master bedroom upstairs at the farthest end of the house, at 67-68*F, but that takes running the stove hard all day long.....slack on the reloads, and you loose ground quick.

The stove keeps up until about 20*F if it's not too windy. That's not too bad since the average low here is only in the upper 20s in December, January and February. The rest of the winter the average lows are above freezing. I set my thermostat at 65*. The heat sometimes comes on once or twice just before I get up in the morning, but I feel that is a small price to pay to get some extra time in bed.

We've cut our propane usage by over 75% and we haven't turned on the electric heat upstairs since we've had the stove.

With the wind lately I have found some additional places that need sealing and I've been working on that.

Heating this place still blows when I am at single digits for long periods of time.
These upgrade sure help, though. I put window film on my only remaining old window, plugged a couple of air leaks, and now I've got 64 in here when it's single digits and windy, whereas it was 60 during the first cold snap. I could push my stove a little harder but would rather not, for the sake of my stove and my wood stacks. Right now it's about 5 out but the wind has slowed....65 in here and rising on this fresh load. My backup heat source is more layers of clothes. ;lol
This winter has gotten me fired up about finally tightening up the air leaks in this place, and putting more insulation up top like you did.

Yep, right now. -10 degree's outside and the furnace has been cycling every so often....wife likes to keep the thermostat set at 70-72 in the entry way (2 young boys runnin around). I'm sure if I turned the furnace off we'd be ok, but most likely would dip to mid 60's. Figure its good exercise for the furnace as it does not run too often anyways.

Normally the insert can keep our house warm down to +10 degree's outside....once we get into single digits or lower for an extended period, assistance is required. Old brick house from 1940's...needs more insulation for sure.

Last edited:
-7 yesterday and today and the Osburn kept the house at 72 as long as i kept her going.

OK, last night I decided to go all out. Used up my special oak (less than 15% on fresh split on MM) and use Envi-blocks at the same time.
Loaded every 4 hours with air half open.

Here are the results: 15 outside and 87.4 inside. The rest of the house got to a minimum of 70 throughout.
Not bad, but only doable because the Envi's don't create coals so the stove doesn't overfill.

Still though, I am glad my stove can accomplish this.
verywarmnow.jpg

Absolute ZERO−459.67 °F (That's if I ever get a Blaze King)

I have a stove rated to exactly the size I am trying to heat,
There's your problem right there. stove ratings are based on idealized space (square box) with adequate wall and ceiling insulation, and running the stoves all out 24/7. If you are heating anything other then a square box, with less then perfect insulation or any sort of draft in the house, or you let the fire die down a bit, or use something less then desirable wood, or leave the door open when bringing in more firewood, then you are going to lose ground.
You need to oversize your wood stove for the space intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beer Belly
Haven't found that temp. yet. Two nights ago a cold front came through with peak wind gusts of 60mph and low of 6deg. house was at 72deg. when I got up. However I am heating with a Lopi M520 in a 1200 sq ft house. House is an old remodeled school house with windows that were installed in 1957 so they rattle when the wind blows. Dosen't seem to concern the Lopi with hedge in it, it just kinda goes about it's business.

OK, last night I decided to go all out. Used up my special oak (less than 15% on fresh split on MM) and use Envi-blocks at the same time.
Loaded every 4 hours with air half open.

Here are the results: 15 outside and 87.4 inside. The rest of the house got to a minimum of 70 throughout.
Not bad, but only doable because the Envi's don't create coals so the stove doesn't overfill.

Still though, I am glad my stove can accomplish this.
View attachment 125614

Those kind of pictures always make me smile. Yes, often when the temps get 25-30 degrees below "normal" you find, or at least I do, that the time between reloads shortens and you have to run a bit more air.

I can get the house up to 22c/71f when the outside temperature is -23c/-9f but I loose ground below that and the house starts slipping to 21c and beyond. When we had temperatures below -30c/-22f the furnace would come on. I can only accomplish these results if I keep the stove going 24/7, but considering my stove is under sized for my 2600 sq ft house I think thats pretty good.

I thought it was cold here in North East Texas, tonight it may get 20-24. We have regular old fireplace which mostly is a waste of good heat up the chimney but we like it. I have a small place 1200 sq ft on a lake , it has an old Atlanta Stove in it and it still put out the heat. I burn some pine thats 3 yrs old and dry, along with regular pine and hickory. I have a fan blowing in back side oh stove and it works good to heat this small place. So I guess we "lucky" not get any colder. Two weeks ago we had a front come thru and dropped to 17 , it froze some beer I had setting out by the boat. Ya;ll keep that colder weather I keep mine.

I can get the house up to 22c/71f when the outside temperature is -23c/-9f but I loose ground below that and the house starts slipping to 21c and beyond. When we had temperatures below -30c/-22f the furnace would come on. I can only accomplish these results if I keep the stove going 24/7, but considering my stove is under sized for my 2600 sq ft house I think thats pretty good.

Damn that's pretty impressive. I have a hard time keeping my house above 65 when it's less than 25F and I have 2,500 sq ft and a 3 cu ft firebox which is larger than yours. But I also have a ton of windows and a 25 ft ceiling in the room with the insert. It's also only my third week burning so i'm hoping i can dial it in more over time and get better at this...

Status
Not open for further replies.