Does anyone else have a webcam so they can watch their fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
be aware, for those of us on a work computer. Most of these require some software or active x stuff installed on the compute rto watch the cams... that might preclude you from being able to use it.... depending on what your work computer lets you do.

I know I cant put anything on, software or activex stuff, so i havent found a camera that lets me do it.

maverick06 said:
be aware, for those of us on a work computer. Most of these require some software or active x stuff installed on the compute rto watch the cams... that might preclude you from being able to use it.... depending on what your work computer lets you do.

I know I cant put anything on, software or activex stuff, so i havent found a camera that lets me do it.

This is where having a cam that uploads a still image every so often to a web server works best.

Also, I can do whatever I want here, I'm the IT Manager :)

I've got a (couple of) Linksys (Cisco) WVC-200 internet cameras (No PC required) that I use for security, and one is in the living room where my stove is so I can login and check the stove. However, I typically only burn when I'm home, since it's a small stove with short burn times. I can attest that the cams have worked well for my purposes (current model is WVC-210), which is mostly for the motion sensor feature (and occasionally to monitor the kids).

Must be a good camera,i can't see through those cast doors. ;-)

Battenkiller said:
Here is an image from the webcam I set up to watch how my fire burns:

WebcamOfVigilant.jpg

It must be a Schrödinger's cat sort of thing?!

Battenkiller said:
Here is an image from the webcam I set up to watch how my fire burns:

WebcamOfVigilant.jpg

Your door handle position differs from mine.

Actually, the handles themselves are different, also.

If I setup a webcam to watch the fire, I'd probably forget it was there one day and get caught doing something naughty with the missus in front of the fire.

I have three of these Foscam cameras. They do work fairly well. The 8919 works far better in the dark than the 8908... you can basically see in pitch black.

I've found the audio isn't very good though.

Make sure you buy a genuine Foscam. There are lots of clones on eBay and you will brick it if you attempt to upgrade with a Foscam firmware.

ort5 said:
I have a wireless IP camera that I use for watching the fire amongst other things:

Nursery camera for my daughter
Sump pump camera in the rainy periods
Temperature monitor (make sure the pipes don't freeze) in the winter when I travel
Watching the dog
etc.

It's a Foscam from this company: http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8918w-wireless-ip-camera-11.html

Connects directly to my wireless router and I usually watch it using my iPhone. It can do audio too and has IR LEDs to see in the dark. It's awesome!

94c1946188a8418fbf2054ff3e9a61e5.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
After about 50 years you outgrow those things.

So true but the milk crate will remain timeless....

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.