Does anyone else open your door when.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
You come near to the flame dying out and you have a huge bed of RED coals?
The amount of heat that comes out is quite amazing...
Thanks all.... image.jpg

My room temp went up 3 degrees in 10-15 minutes and I rolled over the coals to continue the heat...

Its probably similar to just having coals in an open fire place. Personally I just open the primary air up about half to get good heat while burning the coals down at a faster rate so I can reload sooner. But if that works for you with no smoke spillage, go for it

Yes. And that's quite a nice looking stove you have there.

Thanks, opening the door creates a huge supply of heat with no noticeable smoke coming into the room, rolling over the coals using a shovel gets real hot quite quickly. I m getting better results with the door open....

That's a vc Montpelier correct?

Yes, I do this to get a reload burning quickly. Makes the new splits fire-up real nice.

Didn't see that the door was open. Was going to remark about how clean your glass was!

I also open the air to half to help burn the coals down quicker.

gabe

Didn't see that the door was open. Was going to remark about how clean your glass was!

I also open the air to half to help burn the coals down quicker.

gabe
I need continuous heat to keep my room warm, I have 11 windows and no insulation in this room.... So opening the air doesn't do as well as opening the door......
Glass has been staying pretty clean these days.....

i crack the door and open air all the way. move coals around again after about 15 minutes. Gets insanely hot

Cracking door a bit ok for me, door wide open co alarm goes off.

It is probably stove dependent. I think with most stoves it is a mistake to leave the door open even when burning the coals down. What we do is to just open the draft which will hold the stove temperature while burning down the coals. The key is to open that draft just as or a little before the burn is down to the all coaling stage.

Reactions: Hogwildz
I love setting in front of the stove with a full belly of red coals warming you. That radiant heat is amazing.

Attachments

• IMAG0859.jpg
    IMAG0859.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 207
I do that too....Lots of good heat there.
I also like to put a large cast iron skillet on them until its 700 degrees or so an throw in a couple of 11/4" to 11/2" ribeyes.....just saying!

ITs amazing how much heat that door ceramic/glass holds back when its closed

Yes....and wow is it hot.

M

It is probably stove dependent. I think with most stoves it is a mistake to leave the door open even when burning the coals down. What we do is to just open the draft which will hold the stove temperature while burning down the coals. The key is to open that draft just as or a little before the burn is down to the all coaling stage.

Mistake ? Absolutely not. ...............I leave my door open before reload sometimes for about 20 to 30 minutes when its cold outside and I gain 1 or 2 degrees in my house . That really helps on reload house temp loss.

I used to do this with my old insert. It was undersized and I often had coaling issues. If I opened the door all the way and left the fan on it would crank heat into the room.My concern was always that carbon monoxide would be gassing into the room. I don't know why I always had that fear so I only did it for short periods of time. I posted about it years ago.

Room temp goes up 3 degrees in about 10 minutes, this seems to work quite well for me....

I think the issue you'd have here is that burning coals produce a fair amount of carbon monoxide, which the door is obviously holding back. A short time open saying "wow that's hot" won't hurt you, but I'd want a CO detector nearby if I were going to run it open for any amount of time.

I have read that alot of carbon monoxide can spill into the room doing this, is there any truth to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.