Does anyone ever discard wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guad

Jan 6, 2006
No Va
I just had a cord delivered and some of it looked a little less than desirable. Lots of mud and some even had moss growing on the remaining bark.

Is there ever a piece of wood you just want to throw back to nature?

I usually figure that if I paid for it or cut and hauled it--whatever--I'm going to get some heat out of it. Mud won't hurt your stove unless it's wet. Moss burns pretty good when it's dry. I get my revenge on chunks of wood that I don't like by burning them.

Depends on the tree, though probably not for moss. That's normal out here. :) But I have a half of a hemlock that just got too punky to burn and it is out back becoming soil. We usually throw away alder that is over 3 years unless it's been stored under cover for the same reason. Some trees like alder are designed to disintegrate quickly and provide nutrients to the forest floor.

My rule is that if I can pick it up, it's good to burn. If I grab the wood and it falls to dust...no good! Helped a neighbor clean up an old wood pile a few years ago...some of that wood had to be treated pretty gently to get it into the stove without falling apart! Now if I have to pay for it, or have to do too much work to get it, I wouldn't bother.

Corey

if it's wet and buggy I toss it out. Covered with mud or dirt....once it's dry you just bang a couple pieces together and most of the dirt comes off. the rest shovels out like ash when yo uare done burning. It's wood. It burns. Burn it.

If I split a round and find an ant colony, I usually throw those pieces aside. If they are really bad, I'll throw them into the woods. Otherwise, I burn it all.

Rick

Thanks all. I guess so long as it doesn't disintegrate in my hand, or harbor an infestation, I'll stack, season and burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.