Does anyone have a minimal smoke startup method for a Seton/Greenwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi 2.beans
I do not understand how your boiler was drafting at all , was there some sort of passage way through the soot to the flue outlet . besides for the soot build up , looks to me like your burning very cleanly , light gray soot is a good thing . More pics please .

i burn mostly fairly dry pine.i havent checked it since i cleaned it out this summer, but ive been trying to keep a good hot fire with minimal idle time.the flue hole was the only opening in the back when i first cut it open, that was after two years of run time with no tank. i heat 5000 square feet of house basement garage along with my hot tub and heated walkways when it snows. so i have plenty of load. my exhaust temps are still right around 450* . like the smoke around the tubes, still had some wood left in the boiler when i cut it open. my father in laws w100 was five times worse then mine when i cut that open. i didnt take any pictures of his though. im getting good withthis whole picture thing so ill do a post this week of the home built seton with tank install.

Attachments

• DSCF8337.JPG
    DSCF8337.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF8338.JPG
    DSCF8338.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF8339.JPG
    DSCF8339.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF8340.JPG
    DSCF8340.JPG