does anyone have a picture of a P68 igniter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo

Oct 9, 2009
Concord area, NH
Hey all...

With all the talk on here about Harman igniters being very expensive and what a relatively short lifespan they have, I've been thinking about looking into fabricating my own, just in case. There are places that sell "cartridge heaters" that I think would work and they are about 20% of the cost of a bonafide Harman igniter. I have access to a machine shop if I need to fabricate a mounting flange of some sort. If push comes to shove, I could remove mine and see what it looks like but was hoping someone had one kicking around that I could see what it looks like and save me the aggravation of having to remove mine.

Thanks...
Tim

I just replaced the igniter on my boiler under warranty, don't know if its the same as the P68. The info on the new igniter gave the manufacturer name, the rated wattage (306 watts), the voltage (120 volts), the diameter of the cartdridge is 3/8”, and the length is 3”. The link below is to the manufacturer of the cartridge heater used for the igniter. The cartridge heaters used as igniters for Harman stoves have heat fins attatched to the cartridge, I assume these are done at Tempco prior to shipment to Harman. I say this because it mentions in the link that they will customize to ones need.

http://www.tempco.com/TERMINATOR/TerminatorA.html

i read that ignitor as like 31 bucks without mods (the heat fins), right? As well as shipping? Why dont you just go to the dealer and buy an ignitor for $95?.......All freestanding stoves have the same ignitor, by the way, except the PC45.

Here is a photo of the Igniter for the P68.
Unable to attach photo. As soon as I figure how to make file smaller I will atempt to post it.
Sorry.

Attachments

• IMGP2344 (2).jpg
    IMGP2344 (2).jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 465
devildog,
image is there but it's really small. Any chance you could make it bigger?
Thanks,
Tim

yeah, from what I can make out of the picture, I think it's worth the $95...there ain't no way I'm going to weld all those fins on....I suspect those are cooling fins of some sort?

thanks devildog,

Tim

I would imagine they are "heating" fins to catch more pellets and make starting the stove easier.

BUT , for $30 bucks, I'd buy a cartridge heater and try it just for yuks... might work fine and save you some $$$.

I was told by the service guys at the stove shop that the fins are to more efficiently transfer the heat to start the stove. The incoming air is channeled thru the mounting bracket that holds the ignitor, then into the burn pot. Not sure if a ingitor without those fins would transfer enough heat. I would also be afraid that if I tried some ignitor that was not a perfect match for the stove that I would fry something in the stove and ultimately end up costing me more money the the $50 bucks I saved. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.