Does anyone have any experience using an AC central fan to move pellet stove heat around a house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
I will be installing a pellet stove down stairs in my house and was wondering if anyone had any experience moving the pellet stove heat aroud a house using the central fan of an AC unit. Any help would be appreciated. The return for my central AC unit is upstairs.

Did not work for me just made the house colder, I would think it would depend on were the returns are located.

The way I understand it, too much heat would be lost in the ducts. I have a forced air furnace, I am not even go to try it.

I have an HRV unit in my house, they say it's suppose to redistribute my heat. Will find out this winter.

I know using the forced air fan helps a little in our house, basement install. I think it may be more from pulling return air down that pushing supply air up though. We run it few times a week during the season to filter the house air also. From what I've read, it is not an efficient way to move heated air in most cases.

It doesn't work very well and adds significantly to the electric bill.

From what we found out, you need a cold air return close to the stove for this to work. If there is a number of cold air returns which most houses have mainly with central a/c it will not work as well as just one cold air intake by the pellet stove. At the start up of the blower in the furnace you will have to warm the duct work up to feel the warm air come out of the vents. Once the ducts have warmed up sometimes this takes numerous minutes you will feel the heat.

I hope this helps and not make you more confused.

Eric

I have tried this as well and it only made the rooms colder. Lost too much heat in the duct work going through the attic.

Another post on this subject recommended a fan placed at top of stairs blowing the cold air down and assisting the natural circulation. Kind of a science type question and answer, but the hot air will rise and the cold air will settle. By putting fan at top of stairs and blowing down it will force colder air downstairs to where stove is and force the hotter air upstairs. They said the fan does not have to run on high either, just enough to help with the natural circulation. I heard about running the AC fan as well, but that does sound like a waste of energy. I'll be using a pellet stove for the first time this winter as well, and will be experimenting with all types of ways to move the heat around, have a second floor as well. Hopefully all the newbies like myself and all the pro's will continue to drop tidbits of wisdom for us all to learn from. Good luck.

my stove is upstairs directly above my furnace in the basement and i have two returns on either side of the stove that pull some serious air into the furnace you can hear it rushing and if you drop a piece of paper near either one they get sucked right over the grates.....
when i had my quad installed there was a ton of dust from the repointing and the smell of barbq from the whole they made in the chimey for the OAK.....the smell was thru the whole house even though the stove room was sealed up with blankets ....until i realized the ac was running and i had to cover the returns, so i know it circulates air from that room......
question is will it circulate heat??? i was already planning on insulating all my duct work anyway so i will give it a whirl and report back once it gets cold

Status
Not open for further replies.