1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does anyone have experience burning Basswood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by syd3006, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syd3006

syd3006 Member

Loc:
    Northwestern Ontario
    I am wondering if anyone has used Basswood for heating, I cut and split a bunch of it last fall not knowing for sure what it was. A friend identified it as Basswood and said it wasn't a type of wood many people used for fuel. It is cut, split and has been seasoning since last fall so I will burn it this winter but I am curious to know if anyone else has used it and how it burned.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I burned one once. It will burn well when dried but don't expect it to hold a fire long.
  3. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    If its on your property, I would cut it all down and burn it, every last tree. A lot of the farms around here end up with a lot of it because only the good wood gets harvested, in lean times over harvested. Then, you end up with woods full of it. If its on someone else's property, it probably isn't worth the time.
  4. deck2

deck2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Adirondack Foothills, NY
    When I was a teenager my grandfather had some of his property logged off and they only took what they wanted and left the tops and some other trees that they cut to get into what they wanted, well they stacked up the leftovers for us! A buddy and I got a great idea to take a few logs over to a saw mill and we of coarse picked the nicest ones we could. What we thought was maple turned out to be basswood. It was very light when we dried it and we did make a few things from the lumber but I would imagiane that it wouldn't be much better than pine-BTU wise but it is stacked and dried so burn it.
  5. ManiacPD

ManiacPD Member

Loc:
    Maine
    If one blows down I'll burn it otherwise I pass them over. They don't have a lot of Btu value but they split easily. It's good stuff to keep around if you need some small splits to start your fire. Kinda like Ash but not as high in Btus.

Also, it tends to check very deep to the point it will practically split itself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.