Does anyone have leads for shelled corn in bulk for $2-3/bushel ? Mid Michigan. Is there any on li

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithO

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2007
Jackson, MI
Hi All

I am trying to get a head start on provision of corn for winter, since last year I left it too late. I am surprised to find today at the Napoleon feedmill that they are wanting $4.00/bushel based on a bulk purchase of 2 ton. Thats in my trailer, dispensed from their hopper. No delivery, bagging or anything. I had heard that corn prices had moderated after doubling at the start of last years heating season, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Last year, during the heating season, after the price rose from $1.89 to $4.00 (and that is bagged @ 60lb each) I thought the price was high, but at $4.00 in bulk @ 2 ton a time I think it's ridiculous.

Any leads would be appreciated. I would be particularly interested in establishing contact directly with corn farmers who have their own silos in the hope of cutting out the middle man.

Thanks
Keith

Corn futures for December delivery dropped back to $3.50 a bushel Friday. The ethanol plants are taking every bit they can get and more. Those farmers won't have any interest in messing with dumping a couple of tons in your trailer. They are on a roll for the first time in many years.

Probably your best bet is to start knocking on doors. You may very well get some leads there. Also, contact seed dealers (even out of state) as you usually can pick up old seed at a very low cost. You have to sign that you will not plant this seed but if you get it for about 1/3 the price it is worth it. True, you will have to haul it and maybe even hire someone with a large truck but the savings might be worth it if you have an area for storage. You might even go in together with some others in your area on a large purchase.

Don't remember who I talked to a year ago but they were in Georgia and drove to Illinois every fall to buy old seed corn and claimed to save a bundle of dollars.

Thank your local congressman for his support of ethanol! Good luck! I think the only way to get cheap corn is to plant and water it yourself.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.