Does anyone have this wood stove top heat blower to increase BTU output?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• WoodStoveTopFanHeatBooster.jpg
    WoodStoveTopFanHeatBooster.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
The only thing that's going to increase a stove's energy output into the house is by releasing more energy in the fire box (or decreasing the heat going up the flue). Conservation of energy and all that. The ad almost makes it sound like it's creating energy. It would be more accurate to say that it is increasing the convection component of heat transfer, but at the expense of some radiant heat. I for one prefer the radiant feel of the stove, but many prefer the air convection part.

A fan like this will tend to heat the air more quickly, though, and circulate the heated air, which may be desirable. In fact, a fan is almost necessary for an insert installation just to get the heat out into the house because it can't radiate well inside a fireplace.

But don't expect it to magically create more heat, or increase efficiency, as the literature implies.

Sometimes, we will set a small table-top fan to blow across our stove top when the stove is too warm, or if we have a clothes drier rack on the other side to help dry the clothes. They can be handy and I'd suggest trying something like that to see how you like the fan thing. It's a whole lot cheaper and more versatile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
The only thing that's going to increase a stove's energy output into the house is by releasing more energy in the fire box (or decreasing the heat going up the flue). Conservation of energy and all that. The ad almost makes it sound like it's creating energy. It would be more accurate to say that it is increasing the convection component of heat transfer, but at the expense of some radiant heat. I for one prefer the radiant feel of the stove, but many prefer the air convection part.

A fan like this will tend to heat the air more quickly, though, and circulate the heated air, which may be desirable. In fact, a fan is almost necessary for an insert installation just to get the heat out into the house because it can't radiate well inside a fireplace.

But don't expect it to magically create more heat, or increase efficiency, as the literature implies.

Sometimes, we will set a small table-top fan to blow across our stove top when the stove is too warm, or if we have a clothes drier rack on the other side to help dry the clothes. They can be handy and I'd suggest trying something like that to see how you like the fan thing. It's a whole lot cheaper and more versatile.

Actually, a good blower system can produce more heat from the same stove. Your burn rate will necessarily increase so more fuel but if the goal is more heat then it is easy.

What that ugly blower does is provide convection deck and blower in one nasty looking contraption. I made a convection deck for my nc30, super sized the blower, and added a thermal controlled on/off switch which help to allow me to blow through a full firebox in three hours.

I have a TLC 2000, made by Harman, which already has a blower. I would not be able to heat the house by radiant heat alone. If you have a stove without a blower option it would be worth looking into.

This is an add-on, primarily made for older classic stoves that have no blower option or the blower is no longer made. If the stove does not have a convection top already (some do) then it should help distribute and circulate the heat. Tjerlund has been making furnace blowers, draft assisters etc. for a long time.

Actually, a good blower system can produce more heat from the same stove. Your burn rate will necessarily increase so more fuel but if the goal is more heat then it is easy.
Yeah, that's what I meant by increasing the energy inside the box. Burn more wood, etc. It could be a way to get more heat out without overheating the stove if it's a little undersized or something. I've used our table-top fan sometimes and it can be useful.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.