Does anyone know who sells a longer tool for scaping the burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogers

Aug 25, 2008
Southern NH
Harman give you a small one, but if theres a small flame the flame seem to ride right up to the handle. I'm hoping that someone can either point me to tool made specificcal, or recommend another tool that maight work.

Thanks

Raid the tool box ;-)

I just use a long screwdriver to get down into the corners of the burnpot
and near the auger. Depending on how bad the pellets are clinkering
up the pot, I have a set of chisels too. I only use the Harman tool on
the heat exchangers and for quick daily scraping of the burnpot.

I use a wood chisel set i picked up from HD :) Not the exact ones I have, the ones I use are little longer, 3-piece set with the orange grips

Attachments

• woodchidel.jpg
    woodchidel.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 586
I'm not familiar with the tool Harmon provides.

But, for my Enviro EF-2 I use a 5 in 1 painters tool for scraping/chipping the burn pot liner.

Available in every hardware store.

Works great as it is a little stiffer than a putty knife.

---Nailer---

I purchase the set of 3 gasket scrapers from Sears, put a slight bend in it to match the slope in the burn pot.

I bent an old screw driver to reach into the tube opening. - looks just like the pry bar above but not soo perrty

BXpellet said:
I purchase the set of 3 gasket scrapers from Sears, put a slight bend in it to match the slope in the burn pot.

Oh no don't waste your hard earned $$$ on Craftsman tools for that stuff. That's what the local Chinese Tool Store is for. The quality is decent and you aren't committing a mortal sin by heat bending a $20 tool for a $10 job. More bang for your buck. Otherwise if you can weld you can just make up your own "T" handle like the one I use for my Countryside.

Anton Smirnov said:
The scraper that comes with the HArmon Accentra is great - it's a thin bar of steel with a wedge point at one end. it's bent a little to make it easy to reach into the burn pot.

ask around if any dealers have one to sell

Hate the damn tool...If you use it like me on a lit stove...you will inevitably burn your hands. Am looking at a nice burn on the back of my hand as I type from using that tool. It is just too short to use comfortably.

Most of the stove shops I've beein in that sell Harman's sell an aftermarket tool that is a much heavier grade steel. I haven't bought one yet, but am planning on it. The price difference's range from $25 to $45 for this tool.

SparkyDog said:
[

Hate the damn tool...If you use it like me on a lit stove...you will inevitably burn your hands.
Am looking at a nice burn on the back of my hand as I type from using that tool.
It is just too short to use comfortably.

Regardless of what stove you have, whatever you use
to scrape the pot should be long. I also recommend
heat protection such as the ove glove or one of those
heavy suede fireplace gloves.

GVA you're a little late to the party. In post #4 I
had already linked to your thread. ;-)

SparkyDog said:
Anton Smirnov said:
The scraper that comes with the HArmon Accentra is great - it's a thin bar of steel with a wedge point at one end. it's bent a little to make it easy to reach into the burn pot.

ask around if any dealers have one to sell

Hate the damn tool...If you use it like me on a lit stove...you will inevitably burn your hands. Am looking at a nice burn on the back of my hand as I type from using that tool. It is just too short to use comfortably.

Yeah, I hate the Harman tool as well. I scrape the stove when it is lit, so I want soemthing long. We ahve a cheap tool store locally who may make a knock-off of the sears tool, but if not, I'm going to sears today. No more hot knuckles!

Thanks everyone!

Just bought a set of three long handled prybars for $7.00 at one of the local auto supply places. I tried the longest one out and its perfect. The smaller bars look like they'll be an upgrade over the Harman tool when cleaning the heat exchangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.