Does anyone no how to remove combustion motor from impeller shaft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenewhall

Jan 17, 2011
central Ma.
I am replacing my burnt out old combustion motor with a new one I just purchased. The entire housing, motor and impeller shaft and fan are out of the stove now and I still can't remove the motor from the impeller shaft. I have taken out the nuts and bolts and just the shaft holds the two pieces together. I have twisted and turned the motor but it doesn't appear to be coming off. I don't want to use brute strength because I don't want to bend or break anything.

Is there a secret for removing this part?

With the arctic temps coming this weekend I really want the warmth of my pellet stove back.

If you know the answer please share...

Thanks,

David

which stove is this?? someone may know a trick....

This is Whitfield WP2 pellet stove. So it has the old large housing that attaches directly to the back pipes.

I am thinking maybe I have to twist in a certain way?

Thanks,

David

if you have loosened or removed the allen type set screw on the impeller there should be nothing to stop you....might just be unwilling to leave its home....maybe if you give it a lil tap on the impeller in the center it will come loose.

If you have an engine shop or a machine shop in your neighborhood,it is way easier for them to glass bead the shaft in minutes to get the carbon off and with proper tools,should be a five minute job, slip them a little dough and be happy.Sometimes a bottle of booze is a great motivator.

Bluenewhall said:
I am replacing my burnt out old combustion motor with a new one I just purchased. The entire housing, motor and impeller shaft and fan are out of the stove now and I still can't remove the motor from the impeller shaft. I have taken out the nuts and bolts and just the shaft holds the two pieces together. I have twisted and turned the motor but it doesn't appear to be coming off. I don't want to use brute strength because I don't want to bend or break anything.

Is there a secret for removing this part?

With the arctic temps coming this weekend I really want the warmth of my pellet stove back.

If you know the answer please share...

Thanks,

David

Hi, quite ofter there is a small set screw that holds a fan onto the motor shaft as Delta-T mentioned above. Look sideways at the fan and look for a small Allen screw ( sometime there's two) that tightens the fan against the motor shaft. You may need a long shaft Allen wrench to get it off or a long shaft bit driver with the proper size Allen bit. ----Lorne.

Soak it with penetrating oil to ease the crud between the parts. And tap it back on or further on. Small galling may be freezing the two pieces together. If you are skittish, take it to a machine shop and ask them for some help. My neighbor does favors for coffee and danish in the morning or a cold six pack late in the afternoon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.