Does anyone own and operate a new Jotul 118?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do some searches around here for threads. I was posting on this about a month ago, and the conclusion was that the stove's ultimate heat output potential isn't bad, but firebox isn't all that large and ultimately not a real 24/7 stove. A Castine (400) is likely a MUCH better option for that level of heat output (if you want a Jotul), and many other stoves with same size firebox and BTU rating are better choices for 24/7 burning. It is a nice looking stove though.

From what I've read the old 118 was a classic. It put out lots of heat. The new one does not seem to have a lot of satisfied owners though.

......satisfied owners on hearth.com. I have many satisfied owners in my neck of the woods. As matter of fact, i havent had one single service call or complaint on the two or so dozen i have sold.

now that i think about it, its the only single model in there line up that i can say that about. Now to keep it fair the 118 represents a small fraction of the total amount of jotuls i have in the field. The 118 has only been back out for 2 seasons.

Warren said:
A Castine (400) is likely a MUCH better option for that level of heat output

According to Jotul, the heat output for the 118 is equal to that of the

I replaced my old 118 with a Castine. Suffice it to say, I'd rather
have the old 118. I'm currently considering replacement stoves and I'd
really love to go with the new 118. Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of
feedback from owners of the stove. Also, they don't make the stove with
an enamel finish at this point. MSG, any idea if they're planning on
releasing this stove with an enamel finish?

Drafty said:
Warren said:

I tried to make that point also about a month ago and someone here (can't remember who...Precaud?) said his experience was that the new 118 was no where the equal of the Castine.

Warren said:
Drafty said:
Warren said:

I tried to make that point also about a month ago and someone here (can't remember who...Precaud?) said his experience was that the new 118 was no where the equal of the Castine.

Was that the posters experence or opinion?
The Castine is a nicer stove, its also alot more expensive. The F118 has a cleaner emmision rating then the castine, and the same size firebox. I have a hard time believing that the Catine would blow away the F118. If anything, the castine is more draft sensitive then the F118. Also, chimneys play the biggest part of stove performance. If someone claims there is no burn time on a stove, the first thing i look at is the chimney, people pay way to much attention to the stove there buying and not the chimney, which IMO, is infinatly more important then the stove.

Not trying to defend one stove or another, but if I remember the conversation right, the conclusion was not that the F400 blew away the new F118, but the F400 did hold a much longer fire. Back when the forum first started someone posted that they could only get about 1 or 2 splits in the new F118 due to blockage by the secondary baffle.

BeGreen said:
Not trying to defend one stove or another, but if I remember the conversation right, the conclusion was not that the F400 blew away the new F118, but the F400 did hold a much longer fire. Back when the forum first started someone posted that they could only get about 1 or 2 splits in the new F118 due to blockage by the secondary baffle.

Yes BeGreen. That was the basic jist of the conversation.

the firebox is like 26 inches deep in the 118. I think its more designed to put long rounds on top of a coal bed. The firebox size is identical just a differnt orientation. Im not trying to be arugmentative, its just doesnt make any sense that the castine will blow away the 118 when they have the same firebox size and the 118 has less grams per hour of emmisions, which in a way is saying that it uses its secondary combustion more efficiently. Unless you put both stoves on the exact same flue and use the exact same wood, it would just be speculation. I sell more F118's then castines, and castines dont have a perfect record. (only because of the darn draft sensitivity and the narrow firebox)

I too have a new 118 and am a little disappointed with performance. Are there any modifications for those of us in areas without woodstove regulations that could improve performance (heat output and burn time) ?

I think the 118's firebox dimensions are deceiving. The secondary baffle slopes down towards the back effectively setting the size limit for logs. The F400 has a parallel secondary baffle that doesn't restrict loading.

But again, no one's been saying that one stove blows away the other. Each has their strengths. The F118 has box loader efficiency and high end burning heat, but is a bit utilitarian looking. The F400 has equal heat output, a fireplace view, level log loading and a more appropriate look for a living room stove. Different stoves for different applications, both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's kind of like comparing a Honda Element to the Honda Accord, no? Same engine, but very different package.

MountainStoveGuy said:
the firebox is like 26 inches deep in the 118. I think its more designed to put long rounds on top of a coal bed. The firebox size is identical just a differnt orientation. Im not trying to be arugmentative, its just doesnt make any sense that the castine will blow away the 118 when they have the same firebox size
Well in a way it does make sense, MSG. You can't put large-diameter wood into a 118, and since the whole firebox ignites with the new one's air system, long burns are pretty much impossible. No cigar-burns like the old 118. The Castine will take larger chunks which allow for a longer burn time. The guy I know who replaced the new 118 with a Castine is much happier with the latter...

Alaskafire said:
I too have a new 118 and am a little disappointed with performance. Are there any modifications for those of us in areas without woodstove regulations that could improve performance (heat output and burn time) ?

What are you burning for fuel?
How long is your current burn time? (from full firbox to cold stove)
How is your chimnney set up? (total length, diameter, hoew many elbows?)
How many square feet are you trying to heat?
How open is your floor plan?
How well insulated is your home?

am burning spruce, cedar and hemlock sawmill scraps (dry) Actually after another few days with this stove, I see that burn time is acceptable ( 8 hours if carefully packed). The main problem is that it takes a long time to get the stove really putting out heat, and what I need is a stove that I can really get going in a hurry, coming into a cold cabin that is used intermittently in the winter.
The chimney is a straight shot approx 12 feet high, 6 inch with Metalbestos top 5 feet. Am heating 600 feet well insulated but the floor plan is not easy to get the heat from one end to another.

So, I guess I should rephrase my original question - any modifications that would allow me to get a faster hot fire and heat output; esp. given that I live in a state where there are no regulatory requirements.

There is a limit to how fast you can get a stove "up to temp" Seasonal use cabin is going to take time to heat up...there is just no way around that. A well built kindling fire is your best bet, those startups that limp along will be your biggest time killer.

Check out the thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5862/

Is there power in the cabin? It sounds like a fan might help heat it up more quickly. But it's still going to take time. You are not only heating up the air, but the entire interior mass of the cabin. That mass takes time to come up to temp. Especially when being brought up from -10 degrees.

more draft and smaller hot fires should help. Put enought wood in to fill it about 30%, get that wood raging, almost to the coal point, and fill er up. That should help get things started. If its slow to start add some more chimney.

Another thing to keep in mind, you have a 320 pound stove... it takes time to heat up that mass. But MSG's suggestions are your best bets.

I have a 118, it heats my home just fine. All I burn is seasoned hardwood. A celing fan helped the most for spreding out the heat. If I load a large, just fitting in the door, half round on top of a good bed of coals it will burn all night and leave the stove @ 150F in the AM. My $.02

FWest said:
I have a 118, it heats my home just fine. All I burn is seasoned hardwood. A celing fan helped the most for spreding out the heat. If I load a large, just fitting in the door, half round on top of a good bed of coals it will burn all night and leave the stove @ 150F in the AM. My $.02

How new is yours? Current generation?

Warren said:
FWest said:

How new is yours? Current generation?

Yes it is the current model, about 1 month old.

Status
Not open for further replies.