Does anyone pop their trim-surround off their insert for added heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Just curious - was thinking about seeing if I got more radiant heat with the trim surround off....

Doing alot of projects this year to help make the house feel cozier next year. Of course, seasoning wood is the biggest project :)

No, but I have been trying to figure out how to get mine off so that I can shove some rock wool up in there, since I do not have a block off plate installed.

Sure youll get more heat, so long as a liner is installed with a cap on top. Otherwise its no better that burning an open fireplace. Youll basically just be converting your insert into a freestanding. My Buck 27000 can be used as either.

If you have the throat of the fireplace sealed off with a block off plate around the liner, then the surround is just for looks. The back of the insert is double wall with a convection chamber to circulate the heat out into the room, but taking the surround off or cutting part out may give you a little more heat. It's probably not worth it, though, because of the looks.

Thanks gents. I don't have a block-off plate (considering adding one actually), but I do have about 15 cubic feet of Roxul rockwool shoved up around the liner in a dense packing to help slow air movement and insulate the stove space.

Status
Not open for further replies.